Assorted Stuff





   There are times when I know what I'm going to write about. I have my column written in my head and all I have to do is log in and type. Then there are the days when I have no idea what I'm going to write. Sitting in front of the computer is sometimes excruciating. I've been known to sit in front of the computer for as much as three hours trying to write something that is worth posting. Then there are the days when I have a few ideas, none of them really enough to make an entire column.
  Today I've got a few topics that have been rattling around in my head. I'm going to write about them in no particular order. None of them are related to each other. I hope you find them interesting.
  This past Sunday I taught in Relief Society. Part of my lesson was on chastity. With that, the topic of modesty came up. Modesty is incredibly out of fashion.
  This is something I have never understood. It seems that if you choose to keep you necklines high and your hemlines low, then you are old fashioned, out of date and ashamed of your body. It seems that the more skin you show the better. I was out and about one time and saw a woman at the Farmer's Market. She had a nice looking top on. It was in a colour that suited her. The only thing wrong with it is that it was a T-back top and the woman was wearing a traditional bra with it, which meant that her straps were showing. It made me feel really old. I can remember a time when I used small safety pins under a tank top so that the straps would not show. It was unthinkable to let any part of you underwear be seen.
  One of the arguments for wearing revealing clothing is that  women should be able to wear whatever they want without having to concern themselves with inappropriate looks or actions by men. That to ask a woman to cover up is body shaming. While I can understand that those who make this argument might have a point, I can't agree with them.
  The fact of the matter is that we are judged by how we look. If you wear a certain style of clothing then you will be seen as a certain kind of person. If I came to the pharmacy wearing a short skirt and tight t-shirt, I'm sure people would be a little leery of leaving their prescriptions with me. The other fact is that if a woman wears revealing clothing guys will look. That's the way they are programmed.
  Modest clothing doesn't mean ugly clothing. I have seen dresses from movies in the 40s and 50s. The dresses are completely modest and very elegant and attractive. I look at women in traditional Indian dress with the saris, shirt and long skirt. These women are completely covered up and look beautiful. I've never seen an Indian woman who didn't look good in the traditional dress. The bonus is that women of all ages and body types look good as well. I sometimes wish I could dress like that.
  A couple days ago I was listening to a talk given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The talk was on faith and the future. In it he talks about those who fail to forgive and forget the past mistakes of others (or ourselves). He refers to this as "the worst kind of wallowing in the past from which we are called to cease and desist". There are several members of our family who have made mistakes in their past. I'm always taken aback at how some people throw those mistakes back at them without a twinge of conscience. It gets my hackles up when I see someone I care about being attacked in this manner. My protective instincts rise up and make me want to shake the person doing the throwing until their eyes rattle.
  I'm blown away at how some people can be so totally and completely heartless to other human beings. I've never been able to be mean to anyone without having a severe conscience cramp afterward. I feel bad for raising my voice in anger, even when I'm frustrated. Why is it so hard to be nice to people? Why can't we let bygones be bygones and just move on?  All holding a grudge does is leave you with less energy for better things.
  I got my hair done today. Getting my hair done is the one self indulgence I have. I look forward to seeing my hairdresser Leeza, who makes me look so good every eight weeks.
  Spending time at the salon is like a little break. My cell phone doesn't work in the salon. I don't have to answer any questions or emails or worry about how my house looks or that the laundry isn't done. All I have to do is relax. I always bring a book to read while my colour is processing.
  I like to talk to Leeza. We are about the same are and have more in common that I would have thought. We talk about our children/stepchildren, husbands, trips and frustrations of daily life. I always leave the salon looking good and feeling better and ready to write.




 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project