When Will You Put Something New Out?




   When I log into BlogSpot to write this column a list of others who write pops up. I have it set up this way so I can see the newest posts. One of them is a cartoonist. His cartoons are funny, witty sometimes a bit baffling and probably understood only by those who belong the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
  One of the reasons why I like him is because he makes church things funny. His humour is not mean, derogatory or insulting. He simply points out everyday things with humour.
  Every time I log on I look for a new cartoon. He used to post a new one at least once or twice a week. It's been over a month since a new one has been posted.
  I can understand why he might be taking a break. He might have things going on that are taking up all his time. Drawing the cartoon might be a hobby for him and he may need to focus on those things that build income at the moment. Maybe he's suffering from some major writers block. Maybe he's working on something really big that he will roll out soon. I don't know. I just wish that he would have posted some kind of notice. It doesn't have to be big, just a few lines. "Taking a break folks. Will resume in a few weeks/months" "On a Mission, see you in two years" "Working on a big project, stay tuned for details" All I'm looking for is just something that says he will either be back or not.
  I think anyone who has followed a series knows what this is like. You find a good author and they've written a series of books. You read every book in the series avidly. You come to the last book and realize that there are no more left to read. The action hasn't ended yet, but the author has not written any thing new.
  I have a favourite science fiction/fantasy author. She has a series of books set in a certain time period and place. I own many of these books. Then she started writing books that focused on various minor characters in these books. I was happy. They were good reads. Then she wrote a couple of books that were set before the time period of the original series. They were all right too. Then she stopped writing that series and started another completely unrelated.
  I can't blame her for starting something else. I'm sure it gets a little tedious writing about the same place and the same people all the time. Sometimes a writer just needs to take a break. I just wish that once in awhile she would write a new book that was tied to the old series.
   There are lots of things she could write about. She could write a book about Solaris, how she grew up and how she came to become a priestess. She could write about Talia and Dirk's son Jemmie. Did he become a Herald too? Did he go on any adventures? She could write about the twins of Queen Selenay and Prince-Consort Daren. What about Elspeth and Darkwind? She wouldn't have to write a whole bunch of books, just one once in awhile in between the books of her current series.
  Unfortunately I just don't see this happening. I'll have to satisfy myself with rereading her older works, but I'll keep checking the bookstore shelves just in case. You never know.........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project