Cafe Latte




   Today was a cold,rainy day I had been away from home all day. Once I got home, I answered some emails and did some other computer stuff. It was 4:30 when the telephone rang. It was c calling to see if I was home and to let me know that he would be home in half an hour.
   "Do you have your heart set on chicken tortilla soup tonight?" I asked.
   "Why do you ask?" replied C.
   "Would you be interested in going to Café Latte for supper?" I said
   "You'll have to twist my arm," C said.
   I could hear the smile in his voice. I knew I wouldn't have to twist too hard. Café Latte is one of C's favourite places.
   "I'll pick you up at ten after," he said. Then he hung up.
   It's not that I don't like to cook. I do, very much so. I just didn't feel like cooking tonight. I knew that C would like really like a good bowl of soup and Café Latte always has good soup.
   The first time I went to Café Latte was many years ago. C and I had gone with some members of my family to watch a rehearsal of "Prairie Home Companion" at the Fitzgerald Theatre. After the rehearsal was over my uncle took us to Café Latte for an after show dessert. They have a selection of cakes, tortes, cheesecakes and other desserts. I liked it a lot.
  It's a cafeteria style restaurant. They have salads, lettuce salads, sandwiches, soups and pizza. They also have scones and fresh fruit. There are a few items they always serve a chicken Caesar salad, chicken chili and chipotle bean chili. The rest changes. There is always a few gluten free selections and vegetarian selections as well.
  I like to try different salads every time I go there. Sometimes I'll try stuff that I wouldn't ordinarily try, like a smoked salmon salad. They have all kinds of interesting soups too. I like the chipotle bean chili. Sometimes I'll try something different if it catches my eye.
  Besides being a good place to eat, it's also a good place to people watch. It's on Grand Avenue which is a mix of small shops and restaurants. There are all kinds of people in Café Latte. There are older people having a cup of coffee. There are students from one of the nearby colleges having a bite to eat with friends. There are people who have just taken a class at the yoga studio across the street having something to drink. There are young couples, older couples and people people listening to IPods while texting. There are young families and families visiting their college students. I once saw a woman wearing a very small, very tight dress printed with Superman cartoons on it.
  Sometimes when C and I go for a walk on Summit Avenue which is one block away from Café Latte we will stop in for a steamer and maybe share a dessert. A steamer is steamed milk with flavorings in it. We like to watch people or talk while we eat or drink. It makes me feel very cosmopolitan.
  Tonight I had a plate of chicken parmesan stew and a small plate of asparagus asiago salad. C had chicken Caesar salad and a bowl of Santa Fe chicken soup. We shared a piece of salted caramel cake. It was a good meal on a rainy night.
   Fog had developed while we where inside. It swirled in the light of the streetlights. The pavement was shiny and wet. I held C's hand as we walked back to our car. It was a romantic night. I thought to myself that I am a blessed,lucky woman to live in city like St. Paul and even more blessed and lucky that I can share times like this with my best friend who is also my husband. Life is good.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project