Supporting Local Business



   Scamp had to to the vet this morning. He was past due for his annual exam and shots. Time just got away from me. He doesn't handle these appointments very well, so they need to knock him out in order to examine him and give him his vaccines.
  I thought this was going to be an all day process so I planning on returning for him about lunchtime. The vet tech told me that it would be about 15 minutes. There was a coffee shop not too far away from the vet's office. I told the vet tech that I would have a little breakfast and then return when Scamp was ready to come home.
  There was only one patron in the shop when I got there. The man behind the counter said he would be with me shortly. He needed to make more coffee. That was fine with me. I wasn't ready to order. I needed to see what was on the menu. There were a couple of sandwiches, a hash platter, oatmeal and pastries. I chose an egg, bacon and cheese sandwich and some herb tea to drink. I pulled out my card to pay for it and he told me he would settle up with me when I was done. He gave me some hot water and a tea bag.
  A few minutes later he brought me my sandwich on a small plate and some napkins. I had pulled out a book to read, but pushed it aside in favor of listening to a conversation between the counterman and the other patron. They were discussing the weather and then had moved on to music. The guy behind the counter is a big Jimmy Buffett fan. He had been to three concerts. One of them had been on Harriet Island. That one was his favourite. He watched it from his boat. The two men discussed music and downloading. I put in a word here and there.
  Then the other guy left. The counterman told me there was a couple of newspapers if I didn't want to read my book. We started to chat a little. He talked about how it was going to be a slow day for him. Most of his customers are older and don't like to come out if the weather is bad. The weather wasn't really bad, but I knew what he meant. Then he talked about owning a coffee shop and having to compete against chains. He mentioned a few chain coffee shops that are near where we live and how those places are packed. I knew he was right because one of them is along my running route and always seems busy.
   I started thinking about this. C and I have always been supporters of small businesses. This is something I feel strongly about. My parents at various times during my younger years worked for small local business owners. The family that owned a local pizza restaurant lived across the street. A family that owned a high end clothing store lived at the end of the block. We had a greenhouse and landscaping business behind our back yard. Small business owners were friends of my parents. Their children went to school with my siblings and me.
  Through the years the larger stores became more prevalent and were able to offer less expensive merchandise as well as one stop shopping. The convenience and lower prices brought people in and these small business slowly faded away.
  While these factors are a big draw, these are some things missing when one shops at a "big box" store. Customer service for one thing and quality for another. Once I was out on my own, I patronized locally owned businesses as much as I could. For a time I was even able to bank at a locally owned bank. I liked knowing that if I had a problem someone I knew would be willing and able to help. I liked the fact that I knew where the bank president's office was and that I could enter it at anytime if I felt I had received bad service. ( I never needed to do this.)
   I may pay more by doing things this way, but I didn't mind. I felt and still do that I am supporting local families and adding to their income. My money helps to support the community including the pharmacy that I work for.
   It's fun to shop at smaller businesses. You get to know the people who work there. I found some nice pieces of jewelry made by local craftspeople. I found some nice yarn at a knitting shop in a nearby town. We like the produce at the Farmer's Market. I can buy buckwheat honey there as well. Most of my hats were purchased from small clothing and hat stores in Minnesota and South Carolina.
  In the interests of fair disclosure I will admit that I do go to Target and other chain stores for some things. There aren't local stores that sell some of what we need. We do our best though.
   If you haven't done so, try looking at local businesses near your home and in places that you visit. There's a lot of good stuff out there and it can make you feel good too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project