Who Do You Want To Be?

C and I have a five year "Question a day" journal. Every day there is a question to answer. The same question is repeated again the following year on the same day. A few days ago the question was, "Who do you want to be?"
Unlike some of the other questions in the journal this was an easy one to answer. In fact, I thought it was sort of a silly question. There was only one answer. I wrote it down. Me.
Having said this,I do admit to the fleeting thought that it would be interesting spend a little time as someone else. It would be interesting to be Marie Curie, for instance. What would it be like to discover an element? (Actually I think she and her husband, Pierre Curie, discovered a couple of them radium and polonium if I remember correctly.) What would it be like to be Florence Nightingale for a bit or maybe Helen Thomas?
I would not actually want to be any of these women. I would just want to be able to experience some of the things that they experienced from their point of view. As opposed to someone who reads what was written by or about them.
I feel sorry for anyone who wishes they were someone else. I remember Carrie either posting on Facebook or saying that she wished she were Lady Gaga. I remember making some remark to her about how she doesn't need to be anyone else as she is gifted and beautiful as she is. Maybe she agreed with me. I'm not sure.
I've never understood why some one would want to be someone like Lady Gaga or any of the other celebrities these days. You would always be on show. If you do something wrong everyone knows and no one forgets. You would always have to worry that someone will come along and upstage you, so you have to come with more outrageous clothes or outrageous behaviour in order to stay in the spotlight. It's such an insecure way to live. Who would want that?
I think that one of the gifts that life gives you as you get older is to be happy being yourself. Not everyone accepts this gift as there are many older women who go through Botox, surgery and other things to become happy with themselves. It always seem that younger people, especially women, wish they were thinner, blond, wealthier,more shapely or other things. When you get to a "certain age" which may be different for everyone, you realise that you're not going to be taller or thinner or have different colour eyes. For the most part how you are now is not going to change much. The gift is accepting it and knowing that it is all right.
I feel lucky and quite blessed. I have a wonderful husband,two really good cats, a nice home and a job that I like and am fairly good at. Why would I want to be anyone else? I'm quite happy being me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project