Unfashionable

I just read that the color of the year for 2012 has been announced. It is Tangerine Tango,an orange red colour. It is supposed to radiate warmth and create new energy. Designers of all sorts will be rushing to make clothes, accessories and just about everything else in this new,exciting hue.
To me it looks like one of the colours from the big crayon box that nobody uses. I think it was called "burnt sienna" at that time. (Maybe if it was called Tangerine Tango it would have been used.)
Fortunately for me I turned my back on the fashion world a long time ago. Actually I never paid much attention to it, which is only fair as it never paid much attention to me. Somehow clothing designers and manufacturers think that all the women in the world are tall and thin. Short,sturdily built people like me don't exist. (Sour grapes? No,not me...)
I prefer comfort over just about everything else. When I was in third grade I got a pair of saddle shoes. I don't know how I found them, but I did. I liked them a lot. I have wide feet and most shoes are not made for wide feet. (I guess even feet are supposed to be thin.) There were very out of style, but it was one of the few times in my life that my shoes didn't hurt my feet. I wore them nearly every day despite the fact that my classmates enjoyed stomping on my toes while I had them on. I think they wanted to get the white part dirty. (I still don't know how I managed not to have broken toes that year.)
One of my favourite pieces of clothing is my navy blue pea coat. I look forward to fall and winter when it is cold enough to wear it. It is a plain wool coat with an extra lining in it so I can wear it until it gets to about 10-15 degrees below zero. When it's that cold I need to get out my parka. It's comfortable and large enough to wear with a thick sweater. It's navy blue so it will match all the hats,scarves and mittens that I currently own.
I didn't know what a pea coat was until a few years ago. I was watching the movie "Hoosiers". (It's a favourite of mine and if you haven't seen it, you should.) In some of the scenes Norman Dale (played by Gene Hackman) wore a navy blue coat. I really liked that coat.
I asked C if he knew what kind of coat that was. Given the time period that the movie was set it I thought he might know. He told me that it was a pea coat. I found out that pea coats were worn by men in the Navy. This made sense as the character,Norman Dale, had been a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy before arriving in Hickory to coach the basketball team.
It didn't matter to me that it was a man's coat. I wanted one. I liked how it looked and it also looked comfortable. Every year I would look at coats in stores and in catalogs to see if I could something that looked like that pea coat.
I finally found it in a Land's End catalog. That made me feel good as I like Land's End and have ordered from them many times. They had several different kinds. There was one that was a bright fuchsia colour. I looked at that for a few minutes as I like bright colours. However,I knew that in order to get maximum wear out of it, it needed to have the extra lining and it needed to be wool. The fuchsia would not work.
Then I saw it. It had the extra lining. It was wool. It was navy blue. It looked just like Norman Dale's coat, except shorter. I'm not as tall as Gene Hackman, so that was just fine. I was able to try on a few and wound up having to order it as they didn't have it in my size. (Not surprising)
A few days later it arrived. I tried it on. It fit well and it looked great. I found a pair of mittens,a hat and a really cool looking scarf to go with it. I was ready for winter.
It's not a fashionable style and it's not in a fashionable colour. That doesn't matter to me. I look forward to the first cold days so I can pull it out and put it on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project