M and M

Like many women I keep an emergency supply of chocolate in the house. I know that when a craving hits you are supposed to drink water and wait for the craving to go away, but sometimes that just doesn't work. There are also those days that are just so bad that a little chocolate seems to make it better.
Now that the Marathon bar and the Cadbury fudge finger have disappeared, M&Ms are my favourite candy. I keep a bag around at all times. There is one reserve bag in the freezer and another in a drawer. They are perfect. Who could stay grumpy when faced with a cup of chocolate in colourful candy shells. The fact that I can put some in a Ziploc bag and carry it around knowing they will be in perfect condition is a bonus. (Unlike candy bars that can get smashed.)
Most people who like M&Ms have a favourite. There are the plain M&M people and the peanut M&M people. I think it's a little like being a dog or cat person. I prefer the peanut. I can argue that peanut M&Ms are actually healthy (in moderation). Peanuts have protein, fiber and iron in them. Chocolate is supposed to be good for you too (in moderation of course). So that means that peanut M&Ms are good for you.
It used to be that peanut and plain were the only two kinds of M&Ms available. Not any
more. The last time I went to replenish my supply,there was an entire section that was just M&Ms. There were almond M&Ms, pretzel M&Ms,coconut M&Ms,dark chocolate M&Ms and dark chocolate peanut M&Ms. There are also peanut butter M&Ms (aren't those also called Reese's Pieces?).
I must admit I was a little taken aback. The last time I went to restock there were the two old standbys, plain and peanut. Where did all these others come from?
Some of them did look interesting, like the dark chocolate. I like dark chocolate and there has been some press on how dark chocolate can be good for you, which means that dark chocolate peanut M&Ms could be healthier than the classic ones.
Is there a need for the rest of them? Really? Coconut? Most people I know don't like coconut, some to the point that they can't stand the smell. Peanut butter? Why? You already have peanut. Almond? Yuck, why ruin good chocolate by putting that nasty bitter nut in the middle of it?
It is the way of the world I suppose. You make a good product and then mess with it. There are some things that should be left alone. Black and white movies should stay in black and white. Underdog is a cartoon, not a live action film. Peter Sellers is the only Inspector Clouseau and Sean Connery is the only James Bond (who by the way is not blond).
Part of this I'm sure is to cater to the current trend for variety.It's not enough just to have two choices. Take Coca Cola for instance. There used to be two choices there, Diet Coke and regular Coke. Now there is Cherry Coke,Lime Coke,Vanilla Coke,Coke Zero,Caffeine Free Coke and Caffeine Free Diet Coke.
M&Ms don't need to make all these different flavours to have variety. They have colours. There is a website you can go to make customized M&Ms. You can get a whole range of colours and even have your own message or art printed on them. There's plenty of things to choose from. There are also the seasonal M&Ms. Christmas ones are red, green and white. Easter are pastel colours. I think there is even a red, white and blue Independence Day bag.
Fortunately for me I knew just what I wanted and was not distracted by the plethora of choices. I reached for the pound bag of peanut M&Ms and put it in my shopping basket.
Next time I might try dark chocolate. (It's good to step out of your comfort zone.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project