Fish Fry

C and I usually go to a certain restaurant the first night that we spend in Door County. C pointed out that we are on vacation and we don't have to do the same thing all the time. He wanted to do something different.
I had no problem with that. We drove a bit looking at different places. C thought pizza might be good. There are many places one could go for pizza in Door County, but C and I prefer the Bayside Tavern.
When we got inside it was busy. We managed to find a table after a short wait. The waitress took our drink order and dropped off a couple of menus. We looked at them. Pizza was not listed. When the waitress came back, C asked her about it. It turns out they don't serve pizza on Friday. Friday is fish fry day.
We had seen the sign about the perch fry on Fridays. Normally we are either not there on Friday or have something else planned. We decided to try it.
I should have known. Many bars in small towns in Wisconsin have some sort of fish fry on Friday. I had never been to one before. We both ordered the perch platter.
The waitress came back with two plates. There were french fries, a small container of baked beans and another of coleslaw. Stacked on top of this was the fish. It looked like pairs of fish sticks stuck together. On the side was a small container of tartar sauce and a wedge of lemon.
I picked up some of the fish and broke it in half. I dipped it into a little of the tartar sauce and took a bite. It was crunchy and not greasy. It was really,really good. I even liked the tarter sauce and I don't normally like tartar sauce. I tried a forkful of the beans. Normally, I don't like beans. They are too sweet for me. These were not sweet. They had a nice sort of smoky taste and there were a couple of pieces of bacon in with the beans. I ate some more of the fish. The last time I had fish this good was when I had fish at a fish camp in South Carolina. The only thing that would have made the meal better would have been hush puppies. Fries are pretty good, but hush puppies are better.
We enjoyed the rest of the meal. The perch didn't have any bones and didn't have that nasty fish taste that some fish have. I couldn't believe how good it was. C was pleased. It was just what he wanted.
It was also a good way to start our vacation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project