Making Yourself Happier

Yesterday I drove to the Small Town Toastmasters meeting wondering who would be speaking. I hadn't had time to look at the agenda that was emailed. Hopefully I wouldn't have a role that needed much preparation.
To my delight my "big brother", Paul was going to speak. I was excited. Paul has been in Toastmasters for many years at several different clubs and is always someone worth listening to. His speech did not disappoint. In fact, it was so good that I would like to share it with the rest of you.
The speech was about three things that we all can do to make ourselves feel happier. These three things cost very little and take up very little time. If followed they can make a difference not only to you, but to those around you.
The first thing is to thank someone. It can be a card in the mail, an email,a voice mail, a post on Facebook or face to face. It doesn't matter how or even why. The important part is doing it. Paul gave several examples. One of them was to thank someone for not falling asleep during the speech. (Not that anyone really does this)
The second thing is to write down something good that happened today. He said that thinking about something, saying it out loud and writing it down all engages different parts of the brain. This is a good thing.
The last thing to do is to plan something nice. Something with a reasonable likelihood of happening. In other words, set your worries aside for a bit. They won't go anywhere. It doesn't have to be anything large, sitting down for a few minutes with a good book or maybe listening to a recording of a favorite song will do just fine.
The important thing is to write them down. Writing them makes it more real. It doesn't matter what you do once you have written it down. You can save it in a journal, throw it away, put in in the recycling basket or line a bird cage with it. The important thing is to do it. Every day.
Sounds pretty simple doesn't it. Three things that take very little time, very little money and have the potential to make a big difference in how you feel.
It is worth a try. I don't know about you, but all I've been hearing lately is bad news. I think focusing on something good would be a good idea. I'm going to do it.
Thank you for reading this column. I got to eat a lovely breakfast outside on my deck this morning. I'm planning on a grocery shopping date with C later today.
Anyone want to jump on this bandwagon?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project