Barbecue

C and I have a standing date every other Friday night to go grocery shopping. Yes, while most couples are ordering the appetizer and working on the first glass of wine,C is at the deli counter getting some sliced ham and I am looking for some sushi.
Since we religiously follow the rule of not going to the grocery store hungry we will sometimes grab a quick (or not so quick) bite before we start shopping. We like to go to different places when we can. C had heard about this really good barbecue place from some coworkers. He went there alone once to scout the place out. He liked it so much that he brought me a bit of food to sample at work and we decided that that is where we would eat before our shopping date.
It turned out that we had both eaten late lunch on Friday so we shopped first. After our purchases were loaded into the car we headed off to Dickey's Barbecue Pit.
I liked the place the moment we stepped inside. It was small, with tables on one side and a long counter on the other side. The menu is simple pork,chicken, brisket hot links or Polish sausage and ribs. You can eat your meat plain or have it served as a sandwich. They have a few salads to choose from and a whole bunch of really good sides. There are the standards coleslaw, potato salad,baked beans and fries. There are also a few less common ones macaroni and cheese (yum!), baked potato (not usually eaten with barbecue) and fried okra.
C was pleased to see the okra on the menu, it usually isn't served this far north. Originating from Africa okra is grown in warmer climates and the seed pods are eaten as a vegetable in many countries. In the south it can be boiled or breaded and fried. C prefers it served fried as it gets slimy when boiled. I have never eaten okra before although I've heard of it.
The first thing we did was step to the counter and order our meat. All the meat is smoked right on the premises. I had brisket and C chose a two meat combo of chicken and pulled pork. After you order the meat you step down the counter and order the sides if you want any. Both of us had okra. C chose the mac and cheese. I didn't realise it,but mac and cheese is served many times as a side dish in the South. I opted for coleslaw. We each got got a drink. The meat comes plain and there are three vats of sauce you can put on your meat. There is an original sauce, a sweeter sauce and the spicy stuff. I ladle out a cupful of the hot stuff. Some people prefer brisket on the dry side. Not me, I want that meat smothered in sauce.
The tables are covered with the standard checked "tablecloths" (actually plastic to allow for easy clean up) We sat down at a table and started eating. I took a bite of okra. it was warm and tasted fresh. The breading was light and it wasn't greasy or oily. I put a little salt on mine and took another bite. Mmmmmmnnnnn, good stuff. It was a nice change from french fries. I took a small sample of the mac and cheese. It was perfect and made with shells instead of elbow macaroni. The coleslaw had the perfect amount of dressing. Then there was the brisket. Smothered in spicy sauce and just the way I like it with enough smoke to let you know that it's there, not so much that it tastes like an ash can. The sauce had just the right amount of bite on it. I was one happy lady.
We are going to go back there again. Next time I'll try the hot links.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project