Sophie, Lady Story

C and I went to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival yesterday. We had a very good time.
I had been watching the weather the past few weeks. If the weather was going to be cool enough I was going to wear the noblewoman's costume I bought about 12 years ago.
At that time I was dating a guy who worked at the Festival and was very into it. He had found a dress that he thought I might like. I tried it on and it fit. In fact it looked very good on me. It was my favourite shade of blue with dark gold accents. The outfit consisted of a gauze shift, a taffeta/satin underskirt, a velvet overskirt and a long sleeved blue velvet bodice with dark gold accents and a decorated front. I wore a matching blue velvet hat with a small black feather and a small blue pouch. Sometimes I would carry a pewter wine cup decorated with a Celtic knot pattern.
I wore it every time I went to the Festival. Sometimes it would be way too hot to put it on, but I did. I had even worked up a character to be when I wore it. She was Sophia Christina Elizabetta Margreta, Lady Story of Cumberland. She was originally from Italy and enjoyed spending time in the stillroom making medicines to cure people on her home estate. She was friendly, gracious,smart and beautiful. She could make conversation with anyone, even people she had never met. She was confident. She was a far cry from the antisocial, shy person that I was at the time. I tended to keep to myself and spend a lot of time at work or at home.
I think that was the reason I liked wearing the costume so much. Once I had it on, I wasn't Sophie Story the pharmacist. I was Lady Sophia, confident Renaissance beauty.
I broke up with that guy and for several years didn't take the dress out of the closet. When I moved I carefully packed it and unpacked it once I got to my new home. I never thought of getting rid of it. I had hoped to have a "library" in my house and thought I could put the dress on a dressmaker's stand to display it. It was a lovely dress.
I also didn't go back to the Festival for awhile. Too many memories and I really didn't want to have a run in with the ex. Then I met C and didn't have time to go.
Three years ago C wanted to go the the Festival. I was a bit nervous, but agreed. I decided that I would be too noticeable in the dress. If I wore it and there were people there who knew me from before I'd be instantly recognisable. I discovered that most of the people I knew were gone. The few that were left were all friendly. Last year when we went it was too hot, so I left the dress at home.
This year I deiced to wear it. It still fit and it wouldn't be too warm. I put it on piece by piece. (with a little help from C since the bodice laces up the back.) It still looked good.
On the ride to the Festival I tried to remember who I was there. I would need to be in character once I got there. Since I felt like a different person, I changed my character's name. I was now Sophia Carolina Elizabetta Margreta, Lady Crane. (Yes, C has a last name and it is Crane.) Once we got there I felt a bit wobbly. I hadn't done this in awhile.
C gave me some advice. "Just be yourself," he said. I thought for a minute. He was right. I straightened up, adjusted my hat and walked confidently into the Festival. I didn't need the costume to turn me into someone I wanted to be, I already was that person.
We had a wonderful time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project