The Bud

 


   I think I reported a few weeks ago that none of the amaryllis plants that my dad and I have had any buds on them. This was disappointing because I had done all the things my dad told me I had to do to get the bulbs to flower. That's what happens when you deal with plants. They do what they are going to do. I'd just have to try again next year.

   Last evening, I watered the amaryllis when I noticed something that I had not seen before. A large stalk had grown and on the end of the stalk was a bud! It was tall and growing toward the window. 

   How had I missed it? I know that I checked the plants carefully when I watered them to see if flower  stalks were coming up. Somehow I had missed this. I'm guessing the flower stalk was behind some of the leaves so I did not see it. Amaryllis plants grow pretty fast. Sometimes I think that if you watch them you can actually see them grow.

   It didn't matter. I was so happy to see the bud that I took a picture of it and sent it to my Dad. I knew that he'd be happy. He is.

   The amaryllis is not the only things with surprise buds on it. I looked at the big mock orange bush earlier in the week. I had resigned myself to the fact that it would not have any flowers on it this year since we gave it a good trimming last year. I was pleased to see buds on a few of the branches. It's not going to have many flowers, but it will have some.

   I'm amazed by the small things that make me very happy. Seeing the daisies coming in where I had transplanted them, watching the lily plants come up out of the ground. None of these things are very big, but I get pleasure out of seeing them.

   That is a gift I noticed I'd been given with the passing of years. An ability to be delighted by small things. I'm grateful for it because it means moments of happiness are everywhere, like buds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First is the Worst

Birthday

A Letter to RB