30 Days of Yoga

 


   Every January for the last several years the YouTube yoga teacher I like does a 30 day yoga journey. This is the second one I've participated in. (I have gone back and done past ones before.) I usually don't work out on Sunday, Thursday or any day that I work the day shift so I was not participating in classes on those days and would have to do two classes on one day to catch up. This year I decided I was not going to skip days and make them up. If that means I'd do some classes after work, then that's what I would do.

   I wanted to try doing the yoga journey as it was intended. There would be thousands of other people doing the same thing. The thought of being a part of this community even though I don't know any of them and would never see them interested me. I also wanted the feeling of taking on the challenge, small as it is and completing it. Starting the year with a completed goal  is always a good thing to do. 

  The physical challenge is also something I want. I do some yoga on most day and I choose what class I want to do. Doing this journey means that I do whatever class is assigned that day even if it isn't something I would normally select. Today is a good example, the assigned class was a short abdominal workout. I don't mind doing ab work, but it's very hard for me. This class was tough, had to stop the video a few times and take a break because it was so hard. I finished it though and I feel a pleased with myself.

   One thing I like to do as a treat for myself at the end of class is to read some of the comments that people write. Some of them write that they have started doing yoga again after a long break. Some of them write about how they liked the class and how good they felt afterward. I commented after one class that Barnaby had decided to attack my food during a standing pose. All the comments I read are fun and best of all uplifting.

   Maybe that's the main reason why I decided to do this. I wanted to start out my year with something uplifting. This year is an election year and hate and discord are going to spread faster than dandelion seeds on a windy day. I'm not looking forward to ads everyone telling me how bad this person is over that person. It would be a refreshing change to hear how people running for elected office want to improve things.

   I don't have to think about that now. For now I'm going to focus on rolling out my mat every day, gathering my blocks and pillow in case I need them and having a good time moving my body.

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project