Barnaby

 


   I did it again.

     C and I decided that when we got home from Door County we would start actively looking for another cat so Willow wouldn't be alone. We thought another kitten would be a good idea.

    Jenna, who works at my store, was/is working with rescue groups and other people to find homes for several litters of kittens that had been born on a farm several miles away. One of my techs knew I was looking for another kitten and put me in contact with Jenna.

    I told Jenna we were looking for an orange male cat. however I cared more about having a cat with a friendly personality who is good with other animals. I also wanted a kitten close to Willow's age. She showed me a picture of  a cute orange and white kitten. She told me he was a sweet kitten who was starving for attention. That caught my ear. I asked for a chance to meet the him.

    It took a couple of weeks, there were several things that got in the way. Eventually I got to meet him. He was a bit unkept and his ears were dirty. I held him and he snuggled up against me and started to purr.  I have never had a cat do that at a first meeting. I knew this kitten did not want to be a barn cat. He wanted to live in a warm house with lots of love. I wanted to give him that love.  Impulsively, without consulting C, I told Jenna to have the kitten tested for two feline diseases. As  long as he tested negative, we would be able to adopt him.

     Jenna was able to get him into the vet for a test the following  Monday. By Tuesday we had results and they were negative. He needed some deworming treatments so he stayed with Jenna while he had those. We brought him home on Sunday.

     Willow was not happy with this resident in our home. She was not interested in sharing her home or her humans with anyone. I knew it would be all right. It would just take time.

     We put a litterbox, food, water and toys in the computer room. The kitten, who C named Barnaby, would stay here. Out plan was to slowly let Willow get used to him. Also we needed to make sure he was free of intestinal parasites before we could put his litterbox anywhere else. I spent his first few hours in his new home with him in his room. At one point he rolled onto his back and showed me his tummy, which is an act of trust in a cat. He is a gentle and kind cat.

    As the days passed Willow stopped growling and hissing and began to play with Barnaby. Barnaby became less shy and played with the toys that we have. Sometimes he and Willow have little cat tussles. 

     Barnaby and Willow can roam the house as they choose during the day. At bedtime and when we are not at home, Barnaby has to stay in his room. It's interesting to watch the two kittens learn how to deal with each other.  I think we are all going to be very happy together.

    

       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project