Whitefish Dunes

  

   There are three state parks that we walk around while we are here in Door County. Peninsula State Park, Whitefish Dunes and Newport State Park. Of the three Whitefish Dunes is my favourite.   This is kind of strange because we haven't spent much time at Whitefish Dunes. We spend most of our time walking the in the wooded areas of Peninsula State Park.  

 I love the trees in the forest. Unlike many women,the forest is my happy place. There is something about being around trees and the animals that live among them that soothes and grounds me.  When you add the water around the forest it's even better. 

   Whitefish Dunes has a beautiful beach of light coloured sand with the water of Lake Michigan covering it. To me it doesn't look like a beach in Wisconsin.  I can imagine sunbathers and swimmers flocking to that beach in the summer,  One year when it was warmer I took my shoes and socks off and walked in the sand and let the water run over my feet. It felt really good.

   The part I like best is walking along the Lake Michigan shore. Most of the shoreline is rocky.  It's flat light coloured rock. I think it's dolomite. The shoreline is irregular with some flat rocks that extend out and some that are jagged and broken off. In some places the water has washed underneath the layers of rock making little cave like formations.  Trees somehow manage to grow on the shore. I am always amazed my the tenacity of the trees spreading their roots along the ground.

   Everytime we walk along the shore it's windy so water from the lake pounds against the rocks. Sometimes the waves get high enough to hit the walking path closest to the shore. You can see how the water has changed the formation of the rocks. 

   The fact that water can change rock over time is something that has always been fascinating to me. Rock is pretty solid material. However water persistently washing over and around rocks can change them over long periods of time.  That is a lesson from nature that I'm trying to learn. There is no such thing as something that cannot be changed. Everything changes, but sometimes change is slow. Sometimes you have to be persistent like the water over the rocks. 

   That's why I like Whitefish Dunes. I leave with my mind and my spirit refreshed.                                                                                                                                                                                              

                                                                                `                                                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project