Easter Dress

 


   A few days ago I did something that I haven't done in a long time. I bought an Easter dress. Well, actually I ordered it online and hopefully it will arrive in time for Easter....

   I wasn't planning on buying an Easter dress, I have a few dresses that I could wear for Easter with hats to match of course. I was feeling a bit nostalgic I guess. Buying an outfit for Easter was a tradition in my family. Every year Mom would either buy or make Easter dresses for my sister and I and an outfit for my brother. (I don't think he wore suits as a boy.) We had some very pretty Easter dresses that we wore all summer. That was our summer church dress for the year. (We would also get a new dress for Christmas which would serve as the church dress for winter.) When we were older, Mom no longer sewed our clothes and we got to pick out a dress at one of the local stores. For awhile once I got out of college I would buy an Easter outfit of some sort even though I worked most Easters and no longer attended church.

   That may be where my habit of buying something to mark a special occasion started. Every time I started a new job, I bought a new outfit to wear on my first day of work. For many years I used to buy myself a new piece of jewelry, usually a ring, on my birthday. (This was before the days of the birthday lunch.)

   I eventually stopped doing this. I found a better way to celebrate my birthday. Clothes shopping became an ordeal and I wasn't wearing the jewelry I had as much.

   I've found other ways to mark specials occasions now. Going out to eat. Using the nice dishes. Baking popovers or caramel rolls for holiday breakfasts. Drinking tea out of one of the cups in my teacup collection. Wearing one of the big hats that I bought in Charleston. This is just as good as buying something with the added bonus of not creating more clutter.

   Although sometimes it's just nice to have a new dress......

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project