R.A.S. (Random Assorted Stuff)

 


   This is one of those days where I am sitting at the computer with no clear idea of what I want to write about. I have a few random thoughts, but nothing that would make one long column. So today is just going to be a few unrelated things that have been sitting in my head. Enjoy them (or not)

   For the past few months I've been reading about the adventures of Kate and Meghan or to give them their correct names, The Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Sussex. I really don't want to read about them, but I allow myself to get sucked in. The one thing that catches my eye when I read some of these articles is how they don't like each other. Most of what's written is critical about one of them. Kate is unfriendly and unsupportive of Meghan. Meghan plays is picked on, bullied and treated badly or is always trying to get attention. 

   I really dislike the way the media seems to pit these two women against each other. I suppose it generates more attention for the sites that publish those articles. For the record, maybe they don't get along. It's ok. Not all sisters in law like each other, as long as they are respectful of each other on those occasions when they have to be together that's all that really matters.

   I feel a bit sorry for Meghan, because I'm not sure she understood what she was getting into when she got married. I remember as a girl watching Diana walk down the aisle in that huge dress wearing a tiara and looking every inch like a fairy tale princess. I remember seeing pictures of Diana in ball gowns, walking among the people getting flowers and living a rather lavish lifestyle. It looked so wonderful, but that wasn't reality. The reality was that she had no control over her own life, she couldn't do a lot of the things that she could as a private citizen and she was expected to behave a certain way as a representative of her country. I wonder if Meghan truly understood what would be expected of her joining that family.

   It wasn't surprising that she didn't like life as a royal in England. When you are used to having a certain amount of freedom to go and do what you please, not having it is a real burden. Especially when you don't understand why it's like that. When you are used to being able to control what is said publicly about you, not having that control is hard. Hopefully things are better for them here.

   On to another topic......

   It's nearly birthday lunch time. I was trying to figure out where to host the lunch this year. The restaurant I wanted to go to recently changed ownership. I'm not sure how this affects the menu. Part of the reason why I wanted to go to this restaurant is because I want to wear my new dress. It's vintage and frilly and just fun. The other dining options are bar and grill type places where my planned outfit would look a little out of place.

   I was mulling this choice via text with Dana. She said I should not worry so much. It's my birthday and I should wear what I want, even into a bar and grill. That was all the encouragement I needed. We will have lunch at the bar and grill. I will wear my vintage dress and we will have a good time.

   Other bits of news.....

   According to C the paper hearts were well received. Ellen liked hers a lot, to the point that she teared up. 

  My bike has been repaired. I have new wheels, a new seat and new handlebar grips. The pedals will need to be replaced but not right away. I'm looking forward to much more comfortable rides. Hopefully we will ride today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project