1003

 


       A few weeks ago when preparing to write my column, I noticed a large number at the top of the list of posted columns. It was 1000. I had written 1000 columns. I was shocked. Had I really written that many? I checked the archive. It showed that I started writing the column in September 2009. I've been doing this for 12 years. 

   Actually I started writing a couple years before this. At that time I would write the column on Word document and send it to a few friends who seemed interested. Unfortunately when I got a new computer the early columns were lost.

   A lot has happened in 12 years. There were losses: Colby, Dean, Evie, Helen, jobs, friends moving away. There were also gains: new jobs, new friends, a few new church callings, new baby nieces and nephews. There were adventures: Charleston, Chicago, the North Shore, the Cannon Valley trail and daytrips to new places. 

  I've written about all kinds of things: getting my hair done, visiting my cousin's grave, dealing with a customer who had a relapse of cancer and being stuck in a rut. I wrote about wearing my noblewoman's costume to a Toastmaster Halloween meeting.

   There are some topics I return to again and again: New Years, Christmas, our anniversary, my birthday and Memorial Day.

  There have been columns where I mused and vented over various subjects. A lot of times I did it to help me figure out what I think of various topics. It helps me to write things out and see how they look. I've had a few columns where I wrote something, anything because I had writers block. Some of my columns were not very good. Some of them were inspired. 

   When I first started writing I committed to writing one column a week and one every other weekend. I had seen famous people who were writing blogs (columns) and I wanted to put some content out there that was more family friendly. I also wondered if there would be someone out there who would read what I wrote and feel less alone or to see things differently. Maybe 100 or more years from now someone will find these column on some archaic electronic device and see what life was like. Sort of like the Laura Ingalls Wilder and her Little House books.

   One thing I decided to do when I started to write this column was not to add pictures. I know that this is different from just about any other blog. One thing I like about reading is that I get to choose what things look like. I was influenced by newspaper columnists that I enjoyed Erma Bombeck, Molly Ivans and Bob Schieffer (who did TV commentary) 

   I'm grateful for the support of my beloved C, who reads what I write and is good natured about the time I put into writing these columns. He's tolerated many hours of me musing out loud and complaining that I have nothing to write about. I'm grateful for Scamp, who sometimes sits in for me. I'm grateful to those who read this column whoever you are and wherever you are. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me in your comments.

   I look forward to writing more. The sun is shining, the snow has all melted. My amaryllis plants all have leaves on them. There's a whole world of topics waiting to be explored.

Onward! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project