Red Wing

 


         After returning from visiting my parents in their new apartment, C said, "Let's go to Red Wing." It was later in the afternoon but still nice outside. We had gone walking on our usual path for the last week. Both of us wanted a change.

   We put on our coats and walking shoes and drove to Red Wing. In the summer and fall it's a pretty drive. The leaves are off the trees so it is not so picturesque. I brought a book along that I read out loud during the drive. One we got into town we found a place to park.

  We walked away from the downtown area passing several stores with gaily decorated windows that beckoned you to go inside and shop. We headed up a small hill. There were four churches within a two block area. I noticed a plaque on one of the churches. I like reading plaques because many times you can learn things. I learned that Hamline University is the oldest university in the state of Minnesota. Founded in 1854, it was originally located in Red Wing. The spot where the university once stood is park. There is an overlook on one side of the park and a bandshell on the other side. I never knew that Hamline was located any place else but it's current St. Paul location. 

   We walked around the park and toward the county courthouse. Next to the courthouse was another building. It has a strange looking gate  over what must have been a door at one time. The gate had several small red wings attached to it. The wings looked a little odd attached to the black metal gate door. Past the building was another church. There was a small plaque near the church. It was very hard to read. I was able to make out that Gustavus Adolphus college began as a Lutheran church school in Red Wing in 1862. This was also new to me. The college is now located in St. Peter.

   We turned and walked toward the river. As we walked we noticed that several people were getting ready for some kind of event. C went over and asked. We found out that they were preparing for a reception featuring the artists whose work was on display in the gallery. They invited us inside to look at the exhibit.

    The paintings all showed the landscape around farms as the seasons change. There was a painting of field with lightning bugs. There were pictures of fields in the snow. One of the paintings were of a few cows grazing. I could relate to all of it from staying at my grandparents' farm. I've always been fascinated with what artists can do with paint. 

   After looking at all the paintings, it was time to get some dinner. The diner we usually eat at was closed. We decided to try a place we had never been to before. It was not crowded and we were seated right away. C decided to have the buffet. I noticed they had a Monte Cristo sandwich which is my favorite. Since it is rare to find a place that has a Monte Cristo on the menu, I ordered it. They must have been very busy because it took them a long time to make the sandwich. I was beginning to think that I might have been better off ordering the buffet. It finally came and it looked like a mess. I took a few bites. It was not good. There was way too much meat and not enough cheese. I'm not sure what the sauce was supposed to be but it was like nothing I'd ever had. I'm not even sure what it was supposed to taste like. After we were done eating we paid out bill and left. 

   C wanted to go back to the art gallery. He wanted to talk to one of the artists and tell her how much he liked her work. I stayed in the car, there was a shop in the gallery and I didn't want to be tempted to buy anything.

   Once C had finished we drove home. It was dark and we were tired. Both of us were glad we had chose to take this spontaneous road trip. 


Comments

  1. Except for the dining experience, it was a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project