The Missing Holiday

 


      C took me out to dinner after work. We got to the restaurant and it was decorated in red and green. Pictures of Santa and elves were all over the place. This isn't the first time I have noticed this. In my own store, Christmas decorations are slowly being hung. Evergreen wreaths and pine boughs in small pots are being offered for sale. There's a tree made of cases of soda inside the store, one of the first things to see when you come in.

   Something is missing.

   At this time of year there used to be pictures of turkeys, horns of plenty, and pilgrim hats, Now I can understand that some of this may have been deemed offensive, but I can't for the life of me figure out why a holiday that is important enough to warrant decorations and a day off (for many people) is being totally ignored and slowly erased.

   Can someone explain to me why we are neglecting the one day that we have to celebrate gratitude? A holiday that is marked not by the giving of material things but in the gift of spending time with others. Of sharing food. Why is this holiday being disregarded? Is being grateful too hard? Is it more important to go out  and buy?

   I can understand why some might think there is nothing that sparks gratitude. People are still getting and dying of COVID. The two parties that govern us hate each other and are more interested in a power struggle than in doing the jobs we sent them to Washington to do. Yesterday, I found out that it is possible to kill people and have no consequences. 

   That isn't all there is though. This year, my niece Lissa had a baby girl and she is beautiful. Another friend also had a healthy baby girl this year. I'm grateful for that these two girls have a good start in life. This weekend Jill and I are teaming together and covering this weekend so that our boss, Sandy, who has been sick all week can stay home and recover. I'm grateful for this large screen on my computer. I'm grateful for my yarn stash. I'm grateful for Scamp.

   Let's all pause for one day and be grateful for something. Let's appreciate the people and the things we have already. There will be plenty of time to shop and buy later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project