The Diner



   If you read the column I wrote yesterday, you'll know that C and I went on a long bike ride. We rode to Cannon Falls starting at the midway point of the Cannon Valley bike trail. Our plan was to eat lunch in Cannon Falls.  The rule we have for whenever we go on a day trip is that we must eat at a locally owned restaurant not a chain. We knew there were several places in Cannon Falls where we could eat.

   C spotted a place where several bikes where parked. A few of the people going in were people who most likely were riding on the CV trail. It looked interesting so we walked out bikes over to it. 

   It was a small diner. There were a lot of places for bikes all around the restaurant. C and I locked up our bikes and went in. A waitress showed us to a table near the window which made me happy. We could keep an eye on our bikes. It was nice to see all the people. There was a small boy sitting at a table with two women who were most likely his mother and grandmother. While the women talked the little boy was playing with three toy cars he had with him. He had also stacked the small containers of jam and jelly around his plate. 

   Another waitress brought our menus. We looked at them carefully. Like most diners, they served breakfast all day. They had fried green tomato eggs benedict. I was tempted to try it, but it really isn't the kind of food one eats after a long ride. There were burgers and sandwiches and salads. All of it looked good. I decided to have a rueben. C chose a hamburger.

   It came with chips and that was fine with me. That is until C pointed something out. They had tater tots. Homemade cheese tater tots. Most people don't know that I like tater tots. A lot. I will always choose them over fries, chips onion rings or any other side. They weren't going to be tots out of a bag. These were going to be homemade. I had to try them. 

   While we waited for our food I looked around. This seemed to be a popular place. The only empty seats I could see were a short row at the counter. Everyone looked like they were having a good time.  The wait staff looked busy, but not overwhelmed.

   In time our food came. I was very pleased with what I saw. The sandwich had a good amount of dressing and sauerkraut on it. I dislike a dry rueben.  Along with the sandwich there were two large tots and a side of sour cream sauce to dip them in. There was a nice dill pickle laying neatly on the side. I sampled the tot. It was good. The inside was filled with shredded potato and cheese. There was just enough cheese to give it flavour, but not enough to overpower. The sauce was perfect with the tot.

   I sampled the sandwich and it was good as well. I looked over at C who seemed happy with his food. We enjoyed our meal listening to the sounds of all the other diners around us. It was a pleasant place to eat. C and I will definitely eat there again.

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project