Sharing A Bathroom




   C and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary this week. Actually we didn't really celebrate because we were both working and then did some volunteer work at church. I used to joke that the reason why we are able to stay happily married after all these years is because we do not share a bathroom.
    That changed at the beginning of the summer. Two plumbing issues affecting the shower in C's bathroom and the toilet in my bathroom has caused to share. I wasn't bothered by it too much. After all we can share for a few weeks until we can get one of these things fixed. Right? Well, a few weeks has turned into a couple of months which may turn into a couple more months.
    I'm learning something. The reason why we are still happily married after 15 years has nothing to do with seperate bathrooms. I know it sounds silly but I really thought that this was something that helped. The fact is that we are still happily married despite several months of sharing a bathroom.
   I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. If sharing a bathroom has nothing to do without being happily married then what does? Perhaps I should look back at the past year.
   It hasn't been a good year. A couple months after our last anniversary, I had a serious hemorrhage followed by major surgery, followed by a job loss, followed by a new job and then another job loss. That's a lot for one person to deal with. I can't imagine having to deal with all of this alone. I'm blessed to have C who took care of me when I was sick and after the surgery. He held me through my panic attacks after my first job loss. He helped me search for a new job. He celebrated with me when I found one. He drove me through a snowstorm to get to work in a distant city. He encouraged me when I felt down and hopeless. He was with me when I found out I was losing my job again. He encouraged me to try the job I'm doing now.
   I've done my best to encourage him and express gratitude for all that he has done for me this year. I've encouraged him at his work and listened to him tell me about his struggles with a coworker who doesn't like him.
   No, our ability to stay happily married has nothing to do with a bathroom. It has to do with us. It has to do with caring for each other and loving each other and being willing to hold on even when things get tough. It's sitting on the couch watching Star Trek The Next Generation commenting how Data's makeup keeps changing and wondering why Captain Picard has a French name and an English accent. It has to do with making a life together and being willing to live that life whatever it may bring.
    Happy Anniversary C. I love you.
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project