Dinner at Dickey's




   Like most people our age, we are trying to clean up our diet and eat more healthy foods. We're trying to eat less bread and more fruits and vegetables. We're also trying to eat a bit less meat. Sometimes we crave a good brisket. When those cravings hit there is only one place to go, Dickey's Barbecue Pit.
  It doesn't sound like a good place,pit is not a positive word. In this case though it is a very good thing. We hopped into the car and headed into a nearby suburb to feast on brisket.
  It wasn't long before we were in the restaurant. It is very spartan. The chair and tables are plain and utilitarian. The floors are concrete and the air is filled with the scent of smoking meat.
  We went to the counter to order our food. C bantered with the guys behind the counter. He's been here many times and has made friends with them. (He makes friends with everyone almost everywhere or at least tries to.) We ordered two brisket plates. I had a side of coleslaw and fried okra. I love fried okra and Dickey's okra is really good. I probably shouldn't have had it, but I excused myself by saying that I don't eat it often. C had coleslaw and green beans. He was going to eat as healthy as he could.
   The food is served pretty quick at Dickey's. By the time we got to the cash register to pay, our meals were there except the okra. It would be brought out when ready. Trays in hand and holding our big yellow plastic cups, we went to a table. We set our trays  down and went to get our drinks. Deciding on a beverage is the hard part for me. I like diet soda. (Yes, I know it's not good for me.) I also shouldn't drink anything with caffeine in it past about 1 pm if I want to sleep at night. The challenge is that caffeine free options do not include diet unless you count that gross tasting flavoured vitamin water. I opted for a diet cola hoping that maybe the caffeine would wear off and I'd be able to sleep that night.
   We went to pots of barbeque sauce. I got two cups of sauce. One spicy and one original. I prefer my barbeque to be wet. In fact C teased me asking is I wanted a little brisket with my sauce. Normally I'm not much of a sauce fan. Most sauces are either too sweet or too smoky for me. Dickey's is just right. The spicy has just enough bite to it.
  We enjoyed our meal. The TVs were showing and old football game and C was talking about his favourite players. I savoured each bit of brisket, cole slaw and okra. (I'm trying to teach myself to eat more slowly.)
   After we finished we emptied our our trays, refilled our plastic cups and drove home. I always feel bad about the plastic cups. I can't throw them out because they are plastic which is bad for the environment. We always take them home. We have quite a collection started. I don't know if the cups are recycled so new cups keep getting added to the collection, although at a slow rate. Maybe one day I'll figure out what to do with those cups.
  It was a good meal. Our brisket craving had been satisfied. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project