Lunch Break




   On Monday I worked a 12 hour shift. There's nothing new about that. I've worked many 12,13 and occasionally 14 hour shifts before. This shift was special for a particular reason. I got a lunch break.
   It was the first time in all my years of working in retail that I actually got to sit down for a real break when working a long shift.
   I'm sure some of you are wondering if I worked all those long hours without eating. The answer is no. I've become adept at "speed eating" because that's what I had to do. Eat as fast as you can because once the next rush happens the opportunity will be gone. Twice I've nearly choked while trying to eat fast. The other thing that many of us in the job do is bring things that are easy to eat while standing at a computer. Things that aren't real noticeable. My personal favourite is Gardettos but I have also eaten Peanut M&Ms (the nuts have protein and fiber), various granola bars, protein bars and a few times milkshakes. They give you some energy but not much nutrition.
  Speed eating like this isn't good for you. Choking hazard aside, there are many articles about the hazards of eating too fast. The biggest problem is that those who eat fast tend to consume more food because the feeling of fullness takes some time to transmit.
   Unfortunately that is the way of life for a retail pharmacist in Minnesota until two years ago. The Board of Pharmacy  added a rule that required a pharmacist who works more than six hours in one day to take a 30 minute uninterrupted meal break. There was another rule added that required employers to allow pharmacy employees to use the bathroom. This may seem strange and unnecessary rules to have.  Speaking as one who has worked in a very busy pharmacies, these rules make a huge difference. It means that there is recognition that pharmacist should have the same workplace rights as other workers have.
   The Board in Minnesota concluded, correctly to my point of view, that requiring employers to allow meal breaks will decrease the risk of medical errors. I'm sure there are some employers who will try to find ways to circumvent the law and there will probably be pharmacists who will refuse to take a break for fear of getting behind in work or angering managers. These kinds of rules cannot be easily enforced.
   To me it is a victory to simply know that I do have the right to leisurely eat my sandwich away from my workstation. I have technicians that will cover for me as much as possible while I do so. I can rest my eyes and not stare at a computer screen for a few minutes. I don't have to choke down my meal as fast as possible.
   I got to do all those things on Monday. It made a difference.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project