Two First Days



   This past Tuesday was the first day at my new job. I was filling in for a pharmacist that had the flu. It was a 12 hour shift. I was told that I'd have tech help until 7 pm. The last two hours would be on my own. I was nervous, I was going to be using new software and it had been a very long time since I worked 12 hours. I was  going to a store I'd never been in before located in a town that I'd never even driven to. Despite this, I was confident. I had a fairly good grip on the software and was told that the techs would be helpful. I can do this.
  Devi, the scheduler, had emailed me the location of the timeclock and where I could pick up the cash drawer. She also told me that I could call her if I got stuck and the techs didn't know what to do.
   C drove me. We got there much earlier than expected so we had something to drink at a nearby coffee shop. About 20 minutes before it was time to open the pharmacy, I gathered my things and went to punch in and grab the drawer.
  I was able to find everything without trouble. In no time I was at the door of the pharmacy. The keys were in a lockbox. It only took me two tries to get the combination correct so I could get the keys out. That's pretty good for me. I was able to get the gate open with no trouble and get everything in place. So far so good. It looked like it was going to be a good day.
  We started to get busy. There were a few times when I got stuck,but the techs were able to help. It wasn't long before we had a routine going. The techs worked on entering new prescriptions, counting the pills and answering the phone. I checked prescriptions and waited on customers. It felt comfortable. I was back to doing what I love to do.
  I was reminded of another first day at a new job many years before. It was also on a Tuesday and also a 12 hour shift. I was in a store I'd never been in before using software that was new to me.
  That's where the similarities between the two first days end.
   On that Tuesday long ago, one of the techs, an older woman, didn't know how to run the pharmacy software. In fact she was barely able to run the cash register. I honestly didn't know why she was there. Everything I asked her to do she wasn't able to do or was told she wasn't supposed to do it. Very frustrating. The second tech, a younger man who had been there awhile, knew everything and was able to help. It was so busy that I couldn't sit down to eat. I ate as quickly as I could standing at my computer.
  On Tuesday, we were busy but I was able to sit down and eat a sandwich I had brought. There was a small office where I could sit in comfort. The office had a small refrigerator and microwave. I made note of that. Next time I came I could bring some leftovers.
  Devi called me during the day to check on me and see if I had any questions. I had one which she answered. She told me to be sure and call her if I needed help. She also told me the name of another pharmacist I could call later in the evening if needed. (Devi leaves work at 4.) The call made me feel good. I felt like I was being supported and that the trainer wanted me to succeed. It was nice to know that I could get help if I needed it.
  That was not the case on that far away Tuesday. If I got into a jam and the young man tech didn't know how to fix it, I'd have to call tech support or try to figure it out myself. I felt truly alone.
   At about 5 o'clock last Tuesday, the director of pharmacy called. She knew it was my first full day working alone (not shadowing anyone) and wanted to know how I was doing. I told her that things were moving along well and the the techs were a great help to me. I was touched that she had called. She's a busy woman, but she took the time before she went home for the day to call me. To me this means that management wants their employees to succeed. They care. (Because happy employees do better work.)
   That wasn't the case on the long ago Tuesday. I got no calls from anyone except customers and doctors. I doubted that anyone in that company's upper level management knew who I was, let alone that it was my first day in a new store. I got the order sent and ran the end of day reports. The gate was tricky to get closed, but I finally got it. I went home, tired and footsore and grateful to have survived.
   Last Tuesday, the second tech did the order. That was part of his job. He cleaned up some odds and ends. He told me to call him if I had any problems while working alone. He would be sure to keep his phone on. I thanked him and he left. A few customers came in and I waited on them. I was able to run the end of day report without a hitch. I closed the gate, closed down the computers and the cash register. Then I dropped the cash drawer off with the front end manager. I was tired,sore, and hungry (I hadn't brought enough food with me.). I was also happy and felt like I'd done a good day's work. I felt better about my new job.
  When the independent pharmacy that I worked at closed, I was really sad. It was a good place to work and my coworkers were good to work with. It felt like we were a team working to help our customers. I wasn't sure if I could find another workplace like that.
   I think my new job may come close.....
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project