Going to a Movie



   Last week C and I went to a movie. This is a rare event. C loves to go to movies. When he was a kid he took a job cleaning a local theater so that he could watch movies for free. He passed this love of films to his children. He would take them to movies as often as he could.
  I'm not so much of a movie buff. When I was a kid, I would go to movies but I would always feel sick and nauseated. Several times I had to leave a movie because I thought I was going to throw up. Sometimes I did.
  I always thought it was the greasy popcorn smell that made me sick. I discovered the real reason while reading a medical journal article on motion sickness. It turns out that it is possible for people to get motion sick in movie theaters.  I tested this theory out by going to a movie after taking some meclizine. I was only slightly sick. It was a miracle.
  Over the years I figured out how to dose the meclizine so that I can watch a movie without any problems. It seems that I have to start it the day before the movie. It tends to make me a little tired. For this reason, I still don't go to movies much. It has to be something I really want to see and I have to plan when I'm going.
   I had heard a few months ago that there would be two movies coming out that I'd like. One of them was called 'Darkest Hour'. It's about Winston Churchill during his early days as Prime Minister of Great Britain. I like history especially things that most people don't care about. The other movie is called 'The Post'. It has to do with the Washington Post newspaper during the 1970s when they, along with the New York Times, were publishing some documents known now as the Pentagon Papers. This is another topic of interest to me. For awhile I was interested in journalism. I read a lot about journalists including Ben Bradlee who was editor of the Post during Watergate and the Pentagon Papers and Katharine Graham who was the publisher of the Post during that same time period. Katharine Graham was the first female publisher of a major newspaper.
  'Darkest Hour' was going to be shown last week. C and I decided to go. I was excited.
   C purchased our tickets in advance so we would not have to wait. He was sure the theater was going to be crowded with children out of school and their parents. (He was right.)
   We went to the concessions stand. C usually buys a big bag of popcorn and a small pizza when he sees a movie. That sounded good to me although we elected to share the pizza. With food and drink in hand, we went to the theater where out movie was going to be shown.
   I was pleasantly surprised. No more small seats that squashed you next to your neighbour. These were big comfortable reclining seats with armrests that didn't need to be shared and room enough for people to walk in front of you. There was a nice cupholder for my drink. The seats were also arranged stadium style. This is a wonderful thing for a short person like me. It means that no one can block my view.
  The previews were playing when we got there. There were a lot of previews. There were so many that I asked C if the movie would be shown at some point. He assured me that it would.
  He was right. The movie started. I happily watched. It was a good movie. There was only one part where I dozed for a bit. Unfortunately, it's a side effect of the meclizine along with the dry mouth that kept me chewing my ice while I watched. C filled me in so it wasn't too bad.
   When the movie ended we left once all the credits had rolled past. You have to watch the credits because you never know what surprises might be lurking. I had a really good time.
   'The Post' will be released nationally in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to watching it. (Except maybe I'll get a big pretzel instead of the pizza.)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project