Gen Con (LDS Style)





   In about five hours the Semiannual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will begin. Church members from all over the world will gather in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, chapels,houses and sometimes outdoors. They will tune into the conference on televisions, radios, the internet and from satellite feeds coming from the Conference Center. The Conference will be translated into 93 different languages.
   At General Conference, Church leaders give talks (could also be called speeches or sermons) on a variety of topics. According to speakers at the Conference, these topics are not assigned. Those asked to speak at the conference fast, pray and seek spiritual guidance from our Heavenly Father on what topic they should choose. The result is a variety of topics at least one of which applies personally.
  This is the first time in nearly five years that I am able to watch the Conference. I have been looking forward to it for a long time. Once the conference is over, it is posted on the church website to be viewed at any time. To me, there is something different about watching it live. There is a sense of community knowing that so many others are watching at the same time that is not present when you watch it a few days or weeks later.
  I also enjoy listening to good public speakers. LDS church leaders are among the best public speakers I've ever heard. Maybe it's because all of them have been giving talks in Sunday School classes and Sacrament meetings since they were very young. It could also be that several of them have risen to prominence in their chosen professions that have required them to become adept at public speaking.
  This Conference is going to be a little different. For the first time in over 50 years, Thomas S. Monson, currently President of the LDS church, will not be in attendance at the conference. Although it is not the first time a  church president has not attended conference, it has been a long time. His presence will definitely be missed.
   Most people think that a church conference is a solemn occasion and it is. Sometimes there are lighter moments. I'd like to share a few of them with you.
  When the conference sessions are over, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, part of the governing body of the church, file out of their seats in the Conference Center. at the April 2014 conference, Elder L. Tom Perry gave a fist bump to David A. Bednar his fellow quorum member. Elder Perry was 91 years old at the time. I like how the LDS leaders are not afraid to show that they are human.
  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland is a beloved leader and an excellent public speaker. He has been known to toss bits of humour into his talks. I'll quote a couple favorites.  "Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we."  "That is like trying to stuff a turkey through the beak!" "Now, I do see a couple of problems. One is the fact that I am the only person standing between you and the ice cream you always have ready at the close of general conference". He is another church leader that is very genuinely human.
   The late Gordon B. Hinckley, who was church president from 1995 to 2008 could also be humorous. One time he came to the pulpit and  said something like, It's warm in here. I'm sorry. But you are not as warm as you will be if you don't repent. (I didn't put it in quotes because I don't know if it is correct.) I had to chuckle during his interview with Mike Wallace. Mr. Wallace had just said that it looks like the LDS church is being run by old men. Without missing a beat Gordon B. Hinckley said brightly, "Isn't it wonderful!" (Yes, I know this was not from General Conference, but I had to include it.)
  I have to include something from President Thomas S. Monson. During the 2008 General Conference he gave a talk where he wiggled his ears. I'd never seen a church leader do such a thing before. I think at one point during that talk he said, "my wife told me not to say that."
  Elder David A. Bednar started his talk from the April 2011 by saying, "I express gratitude for the inspiration that attended the selection of the hymn that will follow my remarks, “Have I Done Any Good?” (Hymns, no. 223). I get the hint."
 There are also President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's numerous references to flying and the aviation industry. This is what you would expect from a man who has been in this field most of his adult life.
  One last memorable general conference fact. In October 2014, conference speakers whose native language was not English had the option of speaking in their native tongue. Their talks were translated into English during the broadcast. As far as I know this is the first time that this had been done. Several speakers took this option. I was hoping that President Uchtdorf who is from Germany, would give his talk in German. He didn't. I think he said that he was going to speak in English, but it would sound like German. (I can't find the exact quote.)
  Four more hours.... looking forward to it.......


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project