Hat Tree





   Our first step in our home improvement plan is to reorganize. So far we (or rather he) has reorganized our music/instrument storage room and the computer/ craft room. The next thing we needed to do was organize closets.
  The first closet to be organized was the one in the music room. That is where my hats and some of my clothes are kept. As the hats would be the easiest to organize we turned our attention to them first.
  We decided that a hat tree would be a wise investment. This would get the hats out of the closet where they have been stacked in a haphazard fashion. I'd tried to be careful about stacking the hats, but there is only so much you can do with so many hats and a small closet. We looked on Amazon for hat racks and trees. There were several nice ones, but given the amount of hats I had, they were just too small. We finally found a rack that would hold 35 hats. It was designed for displaying hats in retail stores. The racks rotate. It looked nice and sturdy. We bought it.
  The rack came this past weekend. We were both very excited. Finally we would be able to organize the closet and do something with those hats. We unpacked the stand. There were no assembly directions. Fortunately C was able to figure it out. That was the good news. The bad news was that the place we intended to put the rack was going to be too small. It was also too near the door which could hit the hats and possibly wreck them. I though we could put it on the other side of the big computer desk. It was too small as well.
  We were stumped. We had this nice hat tree, but nowhere to put it. We were both frustrated. Now what were we going to do. We had to put this rack up somewhere. I suggested putting it in a corner of the room. I had two storage cabinets for yarn there. We could move them. We moved one of the cabinets next to the computer desk. We moved the other next to the door. Another problem promptly appeared. There is a light that hangs down in that corner. It was too low and would bump into the hat tree. C climbed up on  chair and figured out how to shorten the cord. It took awhile. His arms began to hurt from having to keep them up and his back began to hurt as well. He did figure it out and managed to move the light up.
  We moved the tree into the corner. Perfect. I went to get the hats. I had to make several trips from the closet to the tree. We arranged the hats on the tree with the most delicate ones on top. The ones I wear the most were in the middle. The rest filled out the bottom racks. We doubled up on some of the hats. There are about 37 hats on the tree. We decided to leave four hats in the closet, two of them were simply too large to fit on the tree and the other two were too delicate.
  In the process of bringing out the hats I found several that I didn't know I had.  One of those hats was the first hat I ever bought. I bought it 26 years ago to wear to my brother's wedding. It's a straw boater style with a lace band and a pinkish flower in the back.I found a few more that made me wonder what I was thinking when I bought them. One of them looks like a Sherlock Holmes style hat, but is in a pink and purple check.
  I also didn't realize how many hats I had. If you count the knitted woolen winter hats and ball caps I have over 60 different hats to wear. That is certainly enough. I do not plan on buying anymore hats unless I run into something extraordinary.
  I like having  my hats on the tree. I can find what I want easier. It is also decorative. As an added bonus, we also have some free closet space. We are both very happy with it
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project