The New Year's Column





  C and I didn't make it to 12:00 last night. We went to bed at 11 after watching some football and the last part of "After the Thin Man". We were both too tired to stay awake, in fact we both fell asleep during one of the football games.
  I did something that I haven't done in many years. I shut off my alarm clock. Just once I wanted to wake up when I wanted to wake up.
  I woke up at 6:13 am refreshed and ready to start the day. I walked through the dark hall and into the living room. I turned on the Christmas tree lights. Scamp and Colby greeted me and let me know that they were ready for breakfast. I read my devotional book and Bible while they ate. Then I checked Facebook and liked a few posts. I noticed that Wayne Rogers, who played Trapper John on the TV show MASH had died.
  I put on my workout gear and went downstairs. While I worked out I watched last Sunday's CBS Sunday morning. I recorded it so I could watch the "Hail and Farewell" segment. They run it at the end of every year as a tribute to notable people who passed away during the year. They mention as many as they can and show pictures of several more at the end. I was disappointed that the pictures of Boyd K. Packer, L. Tom Perry and Richard G. Scott were not among those that the end. These three men were in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and were admired by millions of church members.
  After my workout, I spent some "mommy-kitty" time with Colby and Scamp. I don't get to play and cuddle with them as much as I like especially in the mornings when I have to rush off to work or get other chores done. Today I decided that I was going to take the morning off. I was going to enjoy a cup or two of tea. Maybe read a little or knit and crochet a little. Once C gets up we'll have a leisurely breakfast together.
  As many of you know this is my favourite holiday. I'm a little embarrassed to say this. As a Christian, Christmas and Easter are supposed to be the two premier holidays. I like New Year because everyone can celebrate it. It has no religious or cultural ties. If I wish someone a Happy New Year it will not cause offense.
  I like it because it is clean slate day. It's a new day and a new year. We have a fresh start. If the past year wasn't a good one perhaps this year will be better. If last year was good then you can build on that. You have a clean canvass, a new page to write on.
  I'm a huge fan of "do-overs". I believe we all deserve a chance to try again, start over and make improvements. Failure should never be final.
  That's why I like the New Year holiday. It's a time to reflect, plan  and then move on in the forward direction.


Happy New Year from C, Sophie Scamp and Colby
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project