Viking Fans





   I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but I can't keep my mouth shut any longer. (Big Surprise)
   Most of you who read this column on a regular basis know that I am a fan of the Green Bay Packers. This is not a popular stance to take living in Minnesota and living in the Twin Cities area. In fact I think the team is now based out of Eagan which is not far away from here.
  As a Packer fan I am supposed to dislike the Vikings (also the Bears and Lions). As a good Packer fan, I don't root for any of those teams unless they are playing San Francisco, Seattle, Buffalo or New England.
  My problem with the Vikings isn't the team. It's the fans. I don't like most Minnesota Vikings fans. They tend to get rather obnoxious. In the interest of fairness, I don't live in Green Bay.  I'm sure there are some obnoxious fans there too. In fact I have heard that there is a group of fans that moon the opposing team's bus as it leaves Lambeau Field. I don't know if this group really exists.
  I get tired of the Viking fans bad mouthing Green Bay. There is no insult too vile to be used against the team and it's fans. Last week Green Bay beat Detroit. The Pack won because a facemask penalty was called against Detroit. Since a game cannot end on a penalty, Aaron Rodgers had enough time to throw a "Hail Mary" pass down field to score a touchdown.
  The penalty was controversial. I admit, when I first saw what happened I thought it was a bad call. (I've since seen the play from other angles and C explained to me that it was a good call.) Less than 24 hours later enraged Vikings fans took to Facebook with video clips showing facemask grabbing by Packer players that weren't called. Seriously. There were a few that just couldn't let it go. They acted like the Vikings were constantly victimized by bad calls from refs that are probably paid off by Green Bay or the NFL.
  I know one person who gets upset if  you wear the colours green and gold together. It's doesn't matter that other teams (like the NDSU Bison) have green and gold as their colours. She will not tolerate it and will insist that you take the offending clothing off. I'm pretty sure that sure prays that someone will break Aaron Rodger's leg or maybe even his neck. Another guy shared a story on Facebook where a bunch of Green Bay cups were sent to  Minnesota McDonald's restaurants offering a deal on breakfast sandwiches if the Packers won. It doesn't matter that the shipment was in error. He called for a boycott of McDonald's
  Many Viking fans also seem to be fair weather fans. When the team is doing well, they get all excited and talk about going to the Super Bowl. If the team is doing poorly they tend to call them the Vi-queens" . This really bugs me. A true fan is a fan no matter what.
  I don't bad mouth the Vikings. I don't care if you wear purple when you come to visit me in fact, I wear purple myself. I like the colour. I'm not going to have a fit if you visit me  wearing a Vikings jersey. If Minnesota does make it into the Super Bowl, I'll be happy for the team and the fans.
  I don't mind a little competitive back and forth, but lately people seem to be getting meaner. There's no need for that. We have enough hate in the world, we don't need to add to it. Sit back, enjoy the games and may the best team win. ( Unless it's the Bears....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project