Not My Heroes







   A month or so ago I saw an ad on TV. Part of the Professional Football Hall of Fame was going on tour and stopping in Minneapolis. There would be displays, Minnesota Vikings players that had been enshrined in the HOF and games and activities for the children. At the bottom of the logo announcing the  tour was something I found a bit offensive. It said, "Honor the Heroes".
  Now, a bit of disclaimer is in order. I enjoy football. I have been known to yell at the TV screen. I can sometimes be found wearing a Packer jersey and cheesehead hat rooting for my favourite team. I like the fact that it's kind of a human chess game with each side trying to figure out how to take advantage of the weaknesses in the other team. I do admit, I prefer games where my favourite team gains a comfortable margin and keeps it. I'm not a big fan of nail biters. (If neither teams is of interest to me then bring on the close games.)
  That being said, I don't consider football players to be heroes, at least when it comes to the game. One of the definitions of hero (found in the American Heritage Dictionary) is "A man noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, esp. one who has risked or sacrificed his life" Of course this also includes women. This is the definition I prefer to use when I use the word hero.
  I sometimes think we as a society have become a bit warped when it comes to the people we think are important. I'll use the Pro Football Hall of Fame as an example. When a player gains a display in the HOF he is "enshrined". The definition of a shrine is a container used for sacred relics or a venerated object. I've never considered a football player to be someone to venerate (to commend respect or reverence). Admired for their skills, yes. Remembered for their contributions to the game, absolutely. Not venerated though.
  I'm not comfortable with many of the people that our society considers to be important. At one point in time a person was admired because of their talent, their contributions to society or the way that they acted under pressure. These days a person can be admired for outrageous actions, strange clothing or winning a contest (like Survivor or American Idol). If you do something that garners the attention of bloggers, Twitter users and You Tube, you could be an object of admiration.
   In my eyes, in order for a person to be considered a hero, there must be courage or nobility of purpose. Let me use Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis as an example. While First Lady she tried to refurbish the White House and bring back some of the paintings and furnishings that were once in there. She also showed grace and courage after the assassination of husband. To me, she is worthy of admiration.
  A more recent example is Caption Chelsey Sullenberger. You may remember him as the pilot whose plane hit a flock on Canadian geese shortly after take off  from La Guardia Airport in New York. He was able to make an emergency landing in the Hudson River and was able to save the lives of all 155 people onboard the aircraft. According to Wikipedia he now works as an aviation safety consultant. He is a good example of grace under pressure.
  Contrast these examples with some of the people who gain the attention of many today. Lady Gaga , who I'm told is a gifted musician, is known more for her outrageous clothing and behavior. The Kardashian and Jenner families who as far as I can tell, are known for making public many things that should be kept private and large obnoxious weddings.  I don't understand how these people get so much attention and so many people who are willing to buy what they endorse.
  A hero doesn't have to be someone famous. We have many heroes around us. Feats of courage and nobility of purpose do not have to be large ones. I'll name a few people in my life that I consider to be heroes. Mr. Samuels and Mr. Donaldson are two of them. They were my high school chemistry teacher and seventh grade math teacher respectively. Mr. Samuels made chemistry so much fun that I wanted to study more of it. My love of chemistry is what interested me in pharmacy. Mr. Donaldson taught math in way I was able to understand it. I went from the 'B' math group to the 'A" math group and was able to take precalculus in high school. This helped me when I went to college. President Campbell is a hero of mine. He has this amazing ability to see the good in people that others don't always see. As a local leader in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he is always human and approachable. Many religious leaders tend to act as if they were a bit lower than God, but higher than most humans.
  C is my biggest hero. Many times in his life he has been in circumstances where most would have given up. He was the product of a broken home at a time when broken homes were uncommon. He managed to finish high school and go to college when most of his family did not do those things. He moved up north where he had no family, few friends, a carload of possessions and very little money.  When I met him he was starting his life over after a divorce. He is endlessly optimistic and forgiving. He is amazing.
  We don't have to look to public celebrities to find heros. Use the definition at the beginning of this column and look around you. You'll find them. They are out there.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project