The Big Blue Dress





   The Toastmaster requested that those attending the Halloween meeting dress in costume. I told her I would wear my Renaissance noblewoman's costume. The only thing that I asked is that she also wear something and that she come to the post meeting coffee hour in costume as well. (because I would not be able to change clothes.)
  I refer to the outfit in question as the big blue dress. Actually, there is a question as to whether the dress is blue or purple. It depends on the light. It's a four part outfit as it is an authentic gown. There is a white gauze shift, a satin underskirt with an insert of taffeta, a velvet overskirt which shows a little of the underskirt and an ornate bodice. The top of the bodice sleeves are made of a dark gold material and are puffy. The puffy part ends midway down the upper arm. The rest of the sleeve is blue velvet that matches the overskirt. I have a matching blue velvet hat and pouch.
  Since it is made authentically, there are no buttons or zippers. All the parts are laced on like a shoe. Since it is a noblewoman's gown the bodice laces in the back as a noblewoman would have a maid to dress her. (Dresses for poorer woman lace in the front.)
  This means that C had to lace me into this creation. It's not an easy task, but it worked. The bodice was nice and tight. I was pleased that the dress fit. I think I may have lost a little weight since I bought it about 15 years ago.
  I grabbed my stuff and got into the car making sure that all of my skirts were inside the car. I was a little nervous driving off. It was dark and raining just a little bit. I wondered what would happen if I got into an accident and the police would see me getting out of the car looking like a refugee from the middle ages.
  Another interesting thing happened once I settled into the dress. I remembered who I was when I wore it. I was Lady Sophie of  Cumberland who enjoyed a good feast and would be seen strolling around the Renaissance Festival grounds taking in the sights goblet in hand. She'd stop sometimes to listen to a musician and place a few gold pieces (dollar coins) into the tip jar. It almost seemed like I was another person.
  I got to the meeting and got out of the car. I walked towards the church where we meet. I walked unselfconsciously with my head up and my skirts swirling about my feet. It was just like old times. I was greeted by fellow members who admired the dress and one who wanted to have a picture taken with me. Normally I dislike having my picture taken, but Lady Sophie never minded being photographed.  I had a good time at the meeting except that my sleeves kept coming unlaced.
  After the meeting we went to the after coffee. I walked into the coffee shop just like I always do. I thought there would be some stares, but I didn't notice any. (Dana said there were some surreptitious glances.) Four of us from the meeting sat and talked. We had a good time.
  We parted ways and headed home. I wondered if other drivers looked at me and wondered what I was doing dressed as I was. I realized that I truly didn't care. I was quite comfortable in my own skin.
  That hit me. Lady Sophie was comfortable in her own skin. Yes, she was different, but that didn't matter. She just kept on going her own way. I realized that I missed that. I worry about making a good impression and not wanting to look foolish. This has become worse as I've gotten older. I don't want to look like a middle aged woman trying to hang onto her youth.
  Many years ago I packed  Lady Sophie away along with the big blue dress and other things from that part of my life. I felt as a married woman and a stepmother, I needed to be serious and very levelheaded. I would not be respected otherwise. Merriment is unbecoming. I think I may have taken this a little too far. C has told me this many times over the years, but I never got it until now. I need to take out Lady Sophie and use some of the qualities that she has. There are several good ones.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project