Disagreeing







   I've been a little nervous about checking my Facebook page the past few days. I'm nervous because every time a big current event happens people start arguing. I knew this weekend's Supreme Court announcement  regarding gay marriage could cause some very ugly arguments.
  I'm bothered by the fact that we, as a culture, cannot seem to be civil to those who disagree. It is quickly becoming acceptable to indulge in name calling and verbal bullying when someone dares to voice an opinion that is contrary to what is popular.
  It's time for a review of a lesson that we all learned very young. It is simple. Be nice. Be polite. When I learned this lesson it didn't come with any asterisks like be nice, but only to those people who live in our neighborhood. Be polite, but only to those who have brown or blonde hair. I was taught to be nice to every one and be polite to everyone.
  I watched my parents put this rule into action. I never saw either of my parents treat anyone disrespectfully or meanly. (Well there was that time when Dad yelled at a guy at work for spilling a cup of coffee on a computer keyboard. I don't think that counts though. The guy wasn't supposed to have food or beverages near the computer.) In fact all the adults that I saw growing up acted like that.
  Not so anymore. I see adults threatening others. I see adults indulging in name calling and verbal abuse. I've seen adults bully others. I see comments on social media sites and after internet news articles that make me want to throw up.
  There has been a lot of talk about rights lately. One right that is being ignored is the right to disagree. If someone does not agree with you on a certain subject, do not assume that they are bigoted, racist, homophobic, out of touch,intolerant etc.. It simply means that they do not hold the same opinion as you. That is their right. They have their reason for holding that opinion just as you have your reasons for holding yours. Neither of you has the right be coerce, force or personally attack someone who holds an opinion different than yours.
  We also have the right to voice our opinion whatever it is. If someone disagrees with you they have the right to say so. We need to be more respectful of those differing opinions. Having said this I want to make one thing clear. I'm not talking about those who voice their opinions through violence, threats, defacement of property etc. I'm talking about people who take a stand on a subject and find themselves targeted by those who disagree.
  I like the following quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was used in an article written by Dallin H. Oaks.
"There may be situations where, with serious moral issues involved, we cannot bend on matters of principle. But in such instances we can politely disagree without being disagreeable. We can acknowledge the sincerity of those whose positions we cannot accept. We can speak of principles rather than personalities." (Balancing Truth and Tolerance, Ensign February 2013) I believe that this is applicable to all. We all have some core beliefs and values that we hold on to.
  One of the strengths this country is supposed to have is our diversity. A group of people coming from all walks of life can join together and be a powerful force. Too often it seems our diversity is more of an opportunity for to people to isolate themselves into their own little groups. We do better when we work together. A good place to start would be to learn how to better handle disagreement. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project