The Scarf Project







   There is a pattern in my knitting book for a scarf. It is a single coloured scarf with a textured pattern in it. After the pattern is a list of variations and one of them caught my eye. It's a sample scarf. You start with a stitch pattern and change it up every three inches or so.
  I started practicing various stitch patterns and found that I really liked the look. The only problem is that I don't need any more scarves. Then I had an idea. I have four step daughters. I could knit them each a scarf. I would make the scarf in their favourite colour and vary the stitch patterns. None of the scarves would look alike. The Scarf Project was born.
  The first thing to do was to ask what each step daughter's favourite colour is. I knew a couple of them already. Carrie likes red and I knew a good red would set off her blonde- light brown hair and big brown eyes. Carmen likes purple. It suits her and her exotic dark beauty. I asked Denise what colour she liked. It turn out that she likes green, but not olive or forest green. While we were at the yarn shop, I realized that I had no idea what Elin likes. Elin's scarf would have to be a bit different. Since she lives in Texas she doesn't need a warm scarf. I planned to use finer yarn and make something a bit lacy. I decided on some brightly patterned multicoloured yarn, thinking this would be what she would like. C wasn't so sure about my choice. He thought she would prefer black. I couldn't imagine that she would like such a dark, depressing colour. She responded. She prefers black.
   I mentally cursed her up one side and down another. Black! Why did she have to choose black? There are so  many lovely colours out there and she had to choose that one. What the heck was I going to do? If I knitted what I planned to knit she would look like Morticia. She'd look like she was wearing a giant spider web. Not only that, because I would be using a finer yarn, I would not be able to knit patterns in it like I could with the other scarves. It would not only be plain, but also common.
  I mused about this for several weeks until it hit me. I could run another colour thread through the scarf for some interest. I could run either silver or gold through and it would look pretty good. I asked Elin what her choice was. She said silver. Crisis averted. I bought an extra ball of the black because I had another plan. I could knit a scarf for myself using the multicoloured and black threads together.
   I also had a plan of what to do with the leftover yarn I might have. I decided that I would knit a scarf with all of the colours in it. This would be for C. I thought it was appropriate. I mentioned it to him and he like the idea very much.
  I've got everything I need and I'm all ready to start. I just need to finish the baby hats that I wanted to make. I'm really looking forward to this. It will be fun to see how they turn out.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project