It's Just Not Right



   Last night C,Patricia and I went to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It was a lot of fun. I grew up around choir music and sang in church choirs until I was out of high school.
   The first part of the concert were hymns,folk hymns and spiritual songs. It was interesting to hear a mix of more classical music and songs like "Down to the River to Pray", which is definitely southern Baptist.
   After the intermission, the concert took a different turn. The choir sang songs of rejoicing from various cultures. There was even a little choreography involved. They sang "Count your Blessings Instead of Sheep" and "It's a Grand Night for Singing".
  The organist played a song by himself. It was "I Got Rhythm", a Gershwin tune. It was interesting to watch. The organist was playing on a organ with three keyboards and full foot pedals. He played all over that instrument. Sometimes he just played with his feet. He did a masterful job. There was just one problem.
  "I Got Rhythm" is not a song that should be played on an organ. It's just not right. It's a lilting tune meant for voice and a piano. The organ is a lovely instrument, but it is just too much instrument for a song like that.
  I've never been able to understand that. Why do some people feel the need to push square pegs into round holes. Sometimes a given instrument is just not right for the song.I'll give you a couple of examples.
  One time I heard "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" performed by a brass trio. It was well done, but again, it just wasn't right. "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" is a song for a string quartet. The lively quality of the song is perfect for strings. Other instruments can play it, but they don't sound right. Mozart didn't write it for a quartet of wind instruments or a quartet of brass. He wrote it for string instruments. It's perfect the way it is. Leave it alone. I'm sure there are quartet pieces for brass. There's no reason to mess with "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"
   I like the original Three Tenors. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm referring to a set of performances by the late Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras. During one of their concerts they sang the song "My Way". Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make it go awayyyyyy!!! It's isn't a song for three operatic  singers. It just doesn't sound right.
  The Three Tenors are gifted men. I like how they sing, but there is one and only one man who can sing "My Way" and that is Frank Sinatra. The song is made for him. He did it perfectly. No one else needs to try it.
   By now you may have guessed that I am a music snob. You're right, I am to an extent. I have nothing against remakes or even others singing or playing songs made popular by other groups. Sometimes though a performance is done just right. There is really no way to improve upon it. Let it stand. There is plenty of other music to play.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project