First Run of the Year




   Now that the April snows have melted, I can get out and go running again. I've spent the past few years with my nose almost pressed against the window, hoping to see light at 5:30 am so I could start running. This year it snuck up on me.
   Yesterday I dug out my fleece sweatshirt,my fleece hoodie,a long sleeve t-shirt and long running pants. I found a pair of socks and my running shoes. It was time to take myself for a test spin.
  The first run of the year is always a bit of an adventure. I use an elliptical when I'm not running to stay in shape. The movement is not the same though. The first run of the year is a bit of a test to see how much I have lost from the year before.
  I did my usual stretching and then headed into my warm up walk. I'm not one of those people who can just start running right away. Once I felt warm enough I started to run. I had to remind myself to go slowly. I am getting better at pacing myself but I still tend to want to race out of the gate like a horse at the Kentucky Derby.
  I ran past the golf course now devoid of it's blanket of snow. This is the awkward stage for the golf course. The snow is gone and the grass is a mixture of brown and green. I rounded the corner and realised I was running too fast. There is a slight incline coming up. Charging up the hill like Teddy Roosevelt would not be a good idea.
  While I ran I could feel a few little things that were bothering me float away behind me. I forgot about this benefit of my morning run. One of the Toastmasters gave a speech on Thursday where she guided us through a meditation. We were to imagine ourselves allowing a stream of fresh water carry all our troubles and ills away. I had trouble doing this. Maybe it's because I need something more tactile. I need to actually do something or move, then the things I want to let go leave.
  I was fairly pleased with my progress so far. I knew I wasn't going to be able to run the entire block without stopping to walk as I did last year. I thought it would bother me. It didn't. I mentally chewed on that for awhile. Why wasn't I bothered by this?
  It occurred to me that just because I couldn't do it now didn't mean failure. I just needed to work up to it again. It would be easier this year, I didn't have to stop and walk as much as I used to. This year I knew it was possible. Last year when I started to run I didn't know that.
  The ran around the last corner and straight to my house. Colby had taken up his station in the window and was waiting for me. I think the cats like it when I go running. It means they get breakfast a little earlier. I walked up the driveway and towards the garage. The first run of the year was over and it was a success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project