I Don't Have to Participate




   I get comments on columns I have written and I read every one of them. I got one recently that made me think. It was a comment about the column I wrote about retail stores opening on Thanksgiving Day. The reader liked the column but called it a lost cause. Money talks.
  Obviously,the reader is right. The purpose of a retail business is to sell goods at a profit. It is unreasonable to expect a retailer to pass up a chance for sales. 
   The question is, why am I tilting at this windmill? Why did I see fit to criticize something that is going to go on and most likely grow? Why did I spend the time thinking and writing about something over which I have no control?
  Then the light bulb came on. I had stumbled upon the magic word. Control. According to the American Heritage Dictionary it means,"To exercise authority or dominating influence over;direct; regulate. 2 To hold in restraint; check."
  One of the things I have tried to do throughout my adult life is to act according to my beliefs. To put my money where my mouth is as it were. That requires two things one being control. I can control what I do. I can choose to participate or not. I don't have to support causes I that don't believe in. I don't have to patronize businesses that don't operate in a manner that is good for business, the employees that work there and the community that it is in.
  It doesn't really matter what other people do. I can't control them. I can only control me. If I believe that Thanksgiving Day should be holiday spent with family and not a holiday spending money, then I should not go to shop on that day. I should not contribute my money or my time to something I feel is wrong. I don't have to participate.
  The reverse is that I do support things that I agree with. I like to purchase things from small businesses and those that practice fair trade policies. I buy food from farmer's markets as much as possible. I give to local rescue groups and animal shelters.
  Will any of this make a difference? No, not really. I'm not like Oprah Winfrey,who has fans that will buy anything that she suggests. That's not important,at least not to me.
  What is important is that my words and actions match. What is important is that I don't contribute to those things I believe to be detrimental. I may not be able to create a solution, but at least I can say I am not contributing to the problem.
  At the risk of offending some, I'm going to end this with a verse from the Bible. "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Matt 6:21 KJV) This verse can have a broad application. Treasure can be anything you have control over, your money, you time, your effort. Where you put these things are important. Even though it may never have any great impact, I still think it's a good way to live.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project