Carrot Cake



  Yesterday I had lunch with my Dad and my Uncle Jay. Lunching with the "Story Boys" , as I call my Dad and his brother, is one of my favourite things to do. Dad and I have always been close and now that we are both older we are also friends as well as father and daughter.
  Lunch always goes the same way. We meet at the restaurant, order and eat the entree and then have dessert. I don't usually eat dessert at lunch, but for Dad I make a exception. The waiter brought the dessert tray around. Dad picked turtle cheesecake and Uncle Jay picked raspberry chocolate ice cream. My eye was drawn to the huge slab of carrot cake sitting in the middle of the try. I asked them to bring it to me in a box.
   I like carrot cake. It is amazing to me how such a humble root vegetable can make such a great dessert. Anytime carrot cake is on a dessert menu and I have room for dessert, I order it. I have had all kinds of carrot cake. I have had carrot cake with pineapple,with coconut and with walnuts. I have had cream cheese frosting, white frosting and a light coating of powder sugar. I even had carrot cake garnished with candied carrot shavings. Unfortunately the shavings were better than the cake.
  I have had some really good carrot cake, but my favourite is still the one in my 1991 Betty Crocker cookbook. It's not too heavy,not too light and the nuts are optional. It has two of my three favourite spices cinnamon and nutmeg. (The other one I like is allspice.) I once worked with a technician that would ask me to bake one of these cakes for her birthday every year.
  If I would have had my way my wedding cake would have been a carrot cake. I mentioned this idea to my mother. She told me that it was not appropriate. I thought since it was my wedding I could have whatever kind of cake I wanted. We argued about this for nearly two days. I finally gave in and went with the traditional mock angel food. It was very good, but not as good as carrot cake would have been. If C and I ever renew our vows or have a big party on one of our anniversaries, we have having carrot cake. No matter what. (C already knows about this.)
   The carrot cake at the restaurant was pretty good. It was of the fancy variety with coconut. It was frosted lightly and had nuts on the frosting. Very good. I ate half of it and took the rest home with me. I may eat it for breakfast this morning. Why not? It has carrots,nuts for protein and cream cheese for calcium. It can't be any worse than Pop Tarts,Captain Crunch or last night's take out pizza. (Actually I've never eaten Captian Crunch.)  Pair it with a large glass of cold milk and I'm ready to start the day. In fact, I think I'll do so right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project