42



When I was in high school I read the 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' by Douglas Adams. In the book they talk about a computer named Deep Thought that was built to answer the "Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything". The answer Deep Thought gave was 42. The reason why the answer didn't make any sense is because the the beings that asked for the answer didn't really know what the question was.
I can tell you one question where 42 is the right answer. The question is, How old am I today? According to C,the correct answer is 42. (He's right, I did the math. All this time I thought I was already 42.)
If you haven't guessed, today is my birthday. It's cloudy out, but that doesn't matter. It's going to be a good day. Let me tell you what I have planned.
I always take someone out to lunch. This tradition was in jeopardy this year as most of my friends are either working or moving. My friend Carole doesn't have to work until 2 today. We have time for a nice lunch together. I was relieved. I have taken someone out to lunch for the last 20 years.
Last year Carole,Patricia and I did a little shopping at a consignment store. I bought a skirt, a lace jacket and a teapot. In other years I've had pedicures,facials and one make up lesson. This year I wanted to do something different.
A few weeks ago I went into a yarn and needle shop looking for some stamped cross stitch patterns. I found myself staring at needlepoint projects. They were beautiful. As I was admiring them one of the salesladies came up and asked me if I needed anything. I told her that I was admiring the needlepoint. We got into a conversation and I found out that they give private needlepoint lessons. It sounded like fun to me. I do like to do needlework especially in the winter. All I know how to do is cross stitch, which can get a bit boring. As part of my birthday present, C paid for my lesson. That is how I will spend the afternoon.
Tonight C and I will be going to a restaurant called W.A. Frost. (I think I got the name right.) I like to get the Chef's Tasting Menu. It is five courses and always changes. I like to see what the chef will put together and I never know what it will be until I get there. It's not something we do a lot as it is a bit expensive. It's a nice way to celebrate.
One thing I insist on every year is birthday cake. I used to make it or buy my own. Lately C has been getting the cake for me. It's never decorated the same way two years in a row so it is always a surprise to see what C has asked the decorator to do. We will each enjoy a slice when we get home.
Right now, I'm going to enjoy a cup of tea, read a good book maybe give one of the cats a good scratching and just relax.
Not a bad way to spend a day..........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project