C.H.C.

Hi! This is Scamp. I am the Chief House Cat here. Today I thought I would write about the duties of the CHC (Chief House Cat),what makes a good CHC, a typical day for me, and some of the perks of the job.
I use the title Chief House Cat, sometimes if a place had more than two cats, the CHC is called the Alpha Cat. Actually I like the title Alpha Cat better, but Sophie insists that she is the Alpha Cat therefore I cannot use that title. Maybe it's just me, but I think that is silly. Sophie is a human, not a cat. Since she is not a cat she should not get to use the title Alpha Cat.
CHC is a position of great responsibility. Someone has to be in charge. Otherwise chaos would happen. A good CHC is smart,able to move from place to place without making a sound, able to sense when humans are distressed and is well groomed and beautiful. Some CHCs live in households with other animals. In that case the CHC must also be able to get along with other animals, even dogs. In some cases the CHC may have to act as backup of the C.G.D. (Chief Guard Dog).
I have many duties as CHC. I wake the humans up in the morning. I supervise Sophie if she exercises in the house. I am responsible for detecting and alerting the humans if there is an intruder on the property, I can attack the intruders if I think it is necessary. I supervise Colby during training sessions (we do not play). When the humans come home I greet them at the door and inspect any packages they may bring with them. (You never know, there might be something dangerous.) I am also responsible for checking any packages that other humans bring into the house. I will not let anything harm my humans.
Fortunately I don't have to do this all at once. A typical day starts at 5- 5:30 am. I have to bang on the door to wake up the humans. C prefers to sleep in a bit. Sophie usually gets up right away. If Sophie exercises in the house, Colby and I watch her to make sure that she finishes and doesn't take too much time. We eat breakfast between 6 and 6:30 am. After that we watch the back or front yards for suspicious activity or have a training exercise with one of the humans. (The humans think that they are playing with us.) While the humans are at work we alternate between patrolling the house, napping and grooming. Sometimes we tussle. I like to creep up on Colby and tussle with him. I do this so that he learns to pay attention and not let anyone sneak up on him. Sometimes he does the same to me.
We eat supper at 5-5:30 and sometimes as late as 8 pm depending on the work schedule of the humans. After supper we watch a movie or TV show or listen to music. Sometimes there will be a grooming session. Since I am a long haired cat I require daily grooming, which is one of the perks. All I have to do is crawl on Sophie's lap and I will get brushed or combed. (Unless she in playing one of the instruments, then I have to wait.) Both of us do a little patrolling to make sure all is well.
Colby and I make sure that the humans are safely tucked into bed for the night. Then we do night patrols. We look out all the windows we can get to to make sure that no intruders are on our territory. We also do some training at night too.
I like being the CHC. There are lots of benefits. I have on demand grooming and petting. I can also get a chin and chest scratch anytime I want it. I get room and board of course and free dental and medical care. (I hate going to the vet.) In the summer I get to hang out on the deck and sunbathe. There is also a good place to roll out there. Every month we get a claw trim. (I don't like those either.) I also get a bonus of milk and tuna treats. (I like milk, it's good for my coat and bones.)
It's a good life, I have just enough work to keep from being bored and time off for me. We aren't too much different from humans in that respect.
Well, I need to start another patrol.
Bye for now.
Scamp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project