Church Apron

I was rooting around in my linen closet, making room to put some freshly washed sheets when I came across an item I didn't know I had. Sitting on a shelf neatly folded underneath a pile of cotton dish towels and kitchen towels was an apron. Not just any old apron, this was a church apron. Why would I have a church apron?
A church apron is usually made of cotton and can be either a bib style, a waist tie style or a tunic style with ties on either side. It is usually a floral or some discrete pattern. Church aprons are worn by the women who help out in the kitchen during church functions where food is involved. They are the women who help serve the food at funerals mostly, sometimes weddings and potlucks or the Wednesday night dinners during Lent. These are the salt of the earth women who polish the wood on the alter, clean the chalices or items used for a Communion service keep the alter cloths neat and in repair and just generally make sure things look nice. They go by all kinds of names Alter Guild, Women's Auxiliary or Alter Society to name a few. It doesn't matter what denomination there is always a group of women who help out and are the proud owners and wearers of church aprons.
That doesn't explain how I came to have one. I left for college at age 18, nowhere near old enough to be helping out at church. I never stayed in one place long enough to join a group that would require a church apron. I didn't remember buying it and it had never been worn. The price tag was still attached to it. I'm not even sure it could be considered a true church apron since I bought it as opposed to sewing it myself. It it weren't for the fact that it had a price tag and care instructions it could pass as homemade.
It's a pretty apron, bib style with a tie around the neck and around the waist. The skirt is exactly the right length not too long and long enough to protect the clothes. The fabric is cotton with a lovely pattern of pink and red roses. The waist tie and hem ruffle are pink with green trim. The apron pocket is green with pink trim. There's even a small discrete loop on the inside hem to hang the apron up.
This still doesn't explain why I have it. It wasn't a wedding present. It wasn't a gift of any sort. (no one I know would leave a price tag on a gift.)I didn't inherit it. I must have bought it myself. But why? I have several aprons that I wear when I cook, but those are heavier fabric, longer and plain nothing like a church apron. I know I would not have bought it when I helped cook for Carrie's graduation party. I would have worn one of my usual aprons. I wouldn't have bought it for my birthday grill out last year for the same reason. Maybe I bought it because I liked it. It is a pretty apron and sometimes I buy things that I like and may find useful later.
I bet that's it! One thing I have wanted to do is have tea with a friend or two on the deck. I mean a real tea with small sandwiches and fruit and little cakes and good tea. I bet I saw this apron and thought it would be cool to have it to wear while I prepared the tea to get into the mood. I tried it on. It's a little big on top, but not too bad. I folded it up carefully and laid it back in the linen closet. I'll find the right time for you, I thought at the apron. I'll wear you with pride. Just like the church ladies.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project