The Official New Year's column

I was going to write about why New Year's is my favourite holiday. Then I read over the column I wrote last year and realised that I had covered that territory already. It must be an occupational hazard. When you write once a week for nearly a year and a half you will eventually repeat yourself unless you keep track of what you are doing.
Last year I talked about what we are going to graze on. We are having grazing food again, but slightly healthier grazing food. I'm making homemade chicken nuggets, a cheese ball and tuna dip. We got a small veggie tray and a small cheese and cracker tray. I have my usual bottle of Asti wine.
I also talked about my hope that we would be adopting a kitten soon. Colby has spent his first Christmas with us. He did all right except that this morning he chewed through a small cord on my Christmas tree lights. Fortunately I can splice the wire and save the lights.
Carrie will be spending New Year's Eve with her friends. I never imagined last year at this time that she would be moving in. Now she has a nice little "apartment" in the basement and seems quite content. I had breakfast with her this morning. We had baked french toast, something I've never made before, and bacon. It was good.
One of the many reasons that I like New Years is because it is like getting a clean slate. You have a new year and anything can happen. If you messed things up you have a new year to not do it again or to make things right if you can.
I am a big fan of second chances. I have long believed that anyone who honestly wants a second chance should get it. Someone who has made mistakes and makes an effort to improve themselves and live a better life should be given the chance to do better. I believe that a person's past is just that,past. It does not need to be who they are or deny them the right make a future for themselves.
If anyone had told me that I would spend part of my year giving flu shots, I would have told them to detox immediately. I went into pharmacy partly because I did not want to give shots and pharmacists didn't give shots, right? I saw a T shirt once that said, "I was told there would be no math involved." I would have had one that said, "I was told there would be no syringes involved." Not only did I find myself giving flu shots, but finding it not as scary as I thought. I gave a shot to a mentally challenged woman, who was brought in by her sister. The sister was so impressed by how I did that she called my boss the next day to compliment me on my skill. It made me feel good given how scared I was.
That seems to be a recurring pattern in my life. I say I'm never going to do something and then wind up doing it. It has happened so many time that I did a speech about it once. Oh well.. it keeps things interesting for me and I am getting better at not saying things like that. I must be learning.
It's time to get some things done. The cats' drinking fountain needs washing and I should take out the cream cheese to soften so I can make the cheese ball later.
I want to thank all of you for letting me bend your ear (or should it be eyes) once or twice a week this year. Thank you also for the comments. I read each one.
I know I said this in the last column, but I'll say it again. Happy New Year from all the Storys (C, Sophie,Colby and Scamp)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project