New Year's Wish List

At the beginning of the year C and I do some planning for the new year. We make a budget, we talk about things we would like to do the following year. An example of this would be painting a room or places or things we would like to see. We also discuss major purchases we'd like to make and when the best time would be to buy these items and how they will be paid for. We organize the items in order of priority from necessity to luxury. The priority list is subject to change depending on things that happen during the year.
In 2009 we planned to buy an elliptical and a big screen TV they were down on the list as luxuries. This changed when C was diagnosed with mild liver disease and advised to lose weight and keep it off. Both items went to the top of the list. (It's much more fun to use the elliptical if you can watch something good on TV.)
The following are a few items I would like to buy in 2010 along with why I want them.
Dishwasher-- I would like to buy this as soon as possible. When we bought our house it came with a vintage 1980s dishwasher that doesn't do a good job of cleaning dishes. I have to rewash about half of what I put in it. As a result it doesn't get much use. I don't mind doing dishes by hand, but it can get time consuming especially when there are several days that I don't get a chance. I hate coming home to piles of dirty dishes in a kitchen. I'd also like to save the skin on my hands, I put lotion on them and it doesn't seem to help. I think a good energy efficient dishwasher would be a nice addition to our kitchen.
New dishes and silverware--- We do have dishes. My Mom bought a full set at garage sale and gave them to me several years ago as I only had dishes with four place settings. They are nice and the set she bought mostly intact, but I'd like a set that I've chosen myself or with help from C. I'd also like one set of silverware that matches. (Actually what I want is flatware as I don't want real silver.) I do have most of the set that I bought when I moved into my fist apartment but some pieces are missing. I got a box of assorted knives, forks and spoons from my Mom. I use them and it gives my table an eclectic look, but sometimes I don't want to be eclectic.
A closet organizer for C--- His clothes are in laundry baskets in the closet. Since I keep my clothes in a separate closet in another room there should be enough room for some sort of organizer so he doesn't have to dig through the baskets to find stuff.
Ipod--This would be a luxury item and one I vacillate on. I'm not sure that I would know how to use it, I would require some tutoring from Carrie. I'm also not sure how much I'd use it. I may be able to plug it into the tape deck in my car (you do know what a tape deck is, don't you?) so I wouldn't have to listen to the radio. I could listen to it while running. I'm also afraid I would lose it. Ipods are small. I tend to misplace my cell phone quite a bit. It's a lot larger than an Ipod. It seems like it would be fun to have, but how much use would I get out of it?
Furnace-- The one we have is about at the end of the usual life span for a furnace. It would be good to replace it before we start having trouble with it. I'd also like something as energy efficient as possible.
Last item -- an electric fireplace for the downstairs family room. It gets pretty chilly there in the winter. I think an electric fireplace would give the room a nice look (assuming we can find one that doesn't look too cheesy) and make the room more usable. Part of the reason for the big screen TV is for the movie buffs in the family. An electric fireplace would make movie watching down there in the winter much more comfortable.
That's my list. I'll have to see how it matches with C's list. Let the negotiations begin! (dishwasher is non negotiable)

C,Scamp,Colby and I wish all of you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project