The Day After Thanksgiving

Today is the day after Thanksgiving and also my day off this week. I'm spending it doing laundry, picking up the house a bit, writing a letter and hopefully getting a little practice time in on the dulcimer.
I'm not going shopping. I have a strict rule about Christmas shopping. No shopping until December first. I have two exceptions to this rule. I collect the Hallmark Barbie Christmas tree ornaments. I have to buy it in July when it comes out because if I wait they may sell out of them. The other exception is if there is something that I might not be able to buy or has such a good price that I need to buy it before December first.
I understand that retailers need people to buy as much as possible so they can make money, but I'm tired of this holiday season (I'm not anti-Christmas, there are many holidays celebrated during this time.) being hijacked by desperate retailers. I am appalled by stories of people being trampled outside of stores waiting to get in to get the best bargains and getting into physical fights over the last toy or video game on the shelf. If we aren't scared enough by H1N1 flu stories now we will be treated to reports on how sales are down from last year and how this will worsen the economy.
There are a few people that I buy gifts for. It will come as no surprise that I have a rule for this too. If I find something and the first thing that pops into my head is the person I want to give it to then it is the right thing. If I can't find anything that makes this happen I get them a gift card.
OK... enough of that.
I'm pleased with how Thanksgiving dinner turned out yesterday. C and I cooked it together since there was just the two of us. Cooking with C is one of my favourite things to do. We got everything started about 1/2 hour later than we had planned, but that was all right. The only thing that didn't turn out was the sweet potatoes. We baked them in the oven for an hour just like it said to in the Betty Crocker cookbook. The one I had was not cooked all the way through. I'm especially pleased with the dressing (since I didn't stuff the bird with it it is not stuffing). I cook it in the crock pot and it was moist and perfect. C thinks it needed more sage and onion. I made note of it in the cookbook.
We have just enough leftovers too. I'll use the sweet potatoes to make a pie to bring to a party tomorrow evening and the rest will be eaten within the week. It doesn't get much better than that.
I think the first load has finished drying so it's back to the domestic chores for me. Have a good weekend everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project