Putting pictures on the walls

We moved into this house about two years ago. There were some screws and a nail or two left in some of the walls so I put up a picture or two just to cover it up. I figured eventually we would hang all the pictures and I could move them around later.

Then we got busy. There were places to go and things to do. Food to be cooked, dishes to be washed, laundry, vacuuming and so forth. The walls did not look too bad so there was no hurry to cover them up.

A few months ago we got a large screen TV and an elliptical. We put them both in the finished family room in the basement. We wanted to make that room the "entertainment" room. We could watch TV and movies there. We decided to get a recliner for my husband and we got a smaller chair for me. It was time to fix the room up and make it more livable.

That meant we needed to hang the pictures that were sitting in a corner since the day we moved in. Some of them were still wrapped in bubble wrap, others in cardboard sleeves. I had asked a friend to help me as I'm just not good with this stuff, but she had to cancel. I couldn't do this on my own, some of the pictures were pretty large. There was only one other person who could help me. My husband.

I didn't want to ask him, I didn't think he would be interested. After all decorating is sort of the woman's job. I had asked him his opinion once on a pattern for some new dishes I was thinking of buying, he seem a good deal less than interested. I asked anyway and he said yes.

We finally found some time this past Sunday to start our task. I decided the way to handle this would be to bring up the pictures and put them in the rooms where we wanted them. We would hang those where hooks were available, but otherwise just leave them alone for awhile to see how we liked them.

We decided that the large Thomas McKnight would go over the couch and the smaller one on another wall in the living room. We hung my panorama of Florence Italy on the wall near the TV. It seemed too small for the wall so we decided to hang the two drawings I bought from street artists next to it. The large Ty Wilson would stay in the dining room and my picture of the cats in red hats would be hung on a small wall between the living and dining rooms.

My two North Dakota posters were a problem. My husband decided they weren't "dining room pictures" and there was not enough room to hang both in the living room. We decided to put 'Life in the Vast Lane' in the living room and 'North Dakota 87 exits' in the hall outside the bathroom. (It is a poster with pictures of every exit sign on Interstate 94 from Montana to Minnesota.) A picture of cats on a bookshelf went into what we call "the cat room" along with a John Singer Sargent print 'Lady Agnew of Lochnaw'. Some one bought that print for me because they thought I looked like the subject. I never saw the resemblance.

The last few pictures were some cards with cats on them that I had framed along with a needle point cat picture I got as a gift. They fit nicely in the hallway. My plan is to have them all hung by the end of October. Then onto the next project, organizing the storage room.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project