I Have a Stake in this Country

 


   A week or so ago a political candidate for national office made news by saying that he felt childless people have no stake in the country. There were many responses to this remark, mostly pictures of childless women making a difference in this country. 

   I'm not a famous or wealthy so I'm not contributing in that way, but I would like to explain why, as a childless woman, I do have a stake in this country.

    I have five stepchildren and eight grandchildren. Although I was not involved in raising them as Kamala Harris was with her stepchildren, I do care about them. As my stepchildren get older I want them to have access to healthcare including mental health. I want them to have financial opportunities so they can fashion a good life for themselves. 

   Most of my grandchildren are older and for them I want to opportunity for education, college or trade school. I want them to be able to to earn enough money from one job so they can care for themselves and their families if they choose to have one. I would like my granddaughters to have access to appropriate medical care as decided by them and their health care provider. I would like the grandson that is struggling with mental health issues to be able to have the help he needs to live an independent life.

   I want the younger grandchildren to go to school where they learn all history and are taught to think, not what to think. I'd like them to be able to attend school without fear of being shot or harmed in other ways while there.

  My stake in this country is not just for my family alone. I want clean water and clean air for all children. I don't want parents to wonder if the drinking water and food they feed their families is safe. I want all families to be able to afford food and housing without having to work two or three jobs for basic needs. I want green spaces and natural areas to be preserved for all to enjoy.

   Less than a mile away from my house there are homeless people living in a wooded area. I would like a country where everyone has a roof over their heads. 

   I want a country where women, people of colour and LGBTQIA2S+ people can be safe. I want all people to be able to work without harassment and to have equal opportunities.  

   I want a country where all people have access to adequate health care. I would like people and their providers to determine what is appropriate, not health insurance companies. I'd also like people to be able to choose their own health care providers, including pharmacies without having financial penalties for doing so.

   I don't believe that being a parent is the only way to care about the future. As a Christian, I feel obligated to leave the world or at least my place in it better for those who come after me. I do have a stake in this country and I will do what I can to make things better for those around me. That includes voting.

   


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The First is the Worst

Birthday

A Letter to RB