Done

 

    This morning I knitted the last few rows of the ten stitch blanket I've been working on for the past couple of years. Last week I was nearing the end of the yarn that I had set aside for the project. It was then that I realized that I probably didn't have enough yarn to make it to a corner, which means the side would be uneven. While this wouldn't be a bad thing, I knew that the partial strip would bug me. I would have to end on a corner. This caused a bit of a quandary since I did not want to buy any more yarn for this project. I would have to find something in my existing yarn stash.

   I had some pink yarn that I used, but it was not thick enough to use on its own. I decided to pair it with some cream coloured cotton yarn. I added some leftover lavender yarn that has slight colour variations in it. It looked really good next to the cream coloured yarn that I was knitting around. It was also the perfect thickness. My only worry was that I wouldn't have enough yarn to get to the corner.

   Last night I knitted for almost an hour and a half. I was so near the end and wanted to finish. I also realized, to my great relief, that I would have enough yarn to get to the end. I finally stopped when my hands got tired. 

   The blanket isn't perfect. It doesn't lay flat because I didn't follow the directions when I began it. There are a few holes where I didn't join the edges properly and the corners have holes in them from the short rows I had to knit to make the turns. There is a way to to it so the holes don't show, but I don't know how. Despite the flaws I'm proud of it. I worked hard on it and I did the best that I could.

  At the beginning I just used whatever yarn I had and didn't pay much attention putting the colours together. Toward the middle of the blanket I started paying attention. I tried some things and they worked out nicely. 

   The only thing I'm sorry about is that Scamp isn't around to curl up on it. He did enjoy laying on it when I was working on it. I have a picture of him laying on the blanket when I had it stretched out on the bed so I could take a picture of it. I know that he considered it his blanket. Working on it gave me something to do after he was gone. 

   The only thing left to do with the blanket is to weave in all the loose bits of yarn and sew up one hole. I'll set it aside to use once the weather gets colder.  Then it is on to the next project.

   I think I will finally attempt socks. I have some yarn I bought a year ago that would make a nice pair of socks. The only thing I need to learn is how to knit using a magic loop since I refuse to use double sided needles. 

   I'm looking forward to this next challenge.....

   

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project