Making Ravioli

 



      Yesterday, Mom and I did something I haven't done in a very long time. We made ravioli. (Yes, It is possible to make ravioli.) I haven't done it in a long time as it tends to be rather time consuming. Mom was getting tired of baking cookies when I came to visit and wanted to do something different.

     After making a batch of chocolate chip cookies, because Mom decided she wanted them, we started on the ravioli. The first things we did was make the dough. It's actually not hard. Just mix flour, water, eggs, oil and a little salt together, knead it and viola! Pasta dough. 

   The next thing we did was make the filling. We used some ricotta cheese, Italian herb seasoning, a little Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. It was pretty good. We used up half of this filling and then I added some canned chicken to the other half.

   After the filling was made we rolled out the dough. There are two ways you can do this. One is to use a rolling pin. The other way is to use a pasta maker. I got a pasta maker as a wedding present so we used it. It took a little bit to get it set up, I haven't used it in a long time. Once we did it worked well. 

   We put the rolled out dough over the ravioli plate that brought. One the rolled out dough is laid out, we put the filling in. Mom showed me what the dough was suppose to feel like once it had been rolled out enough.  After the filling has been added, we laid more rolled out dough over the top. Then we took the rolling pin and rolled it over the dough. The plate cuts the ravioli into squares.  I had not floured the inside of the plate so the ravioli stuck a little. Mom managed to get them out intact. We made another dozen using the plate.

   We had filling left over so I made another batch of dough. This time we decided not to use the plate. That may have been a mistake. The ravioli turned out uneven and messy looking. I figured looks don't count, taste does.

   Mom started some water boiling and we cooked what we had made. It was pretty clear that the dough should have been a little thinner. Some of them were mostly dough and not much filling. I liked how the pasta tasted. It hung on to the sauce nicely. It wasn't the best made batch, but it tasted good and I was pleased.

   I left my parent's apartment with the dough recipe and a container of ravioli. I was definitely going to try this at home. I was also grateful I had some to memories of cooking with my Mom. Even though I know she isn't going to remember the time we spent together, I will and that is enough for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project