A Wierd Thing To Do





   One of the things I've noticed over the years that we've been married is that we like to do things together that others might find strange. For example, many years ago when we were living in an apartment, we had laundry dates. We would gather all our dirty clothes and supplies and head to the Laundromat together. We would read or talk and just somehow enjoy ourselves while doing the laundry.
  Part of this stems from the fact that we both work full time and mostly on opposite shifts. C works day shift and I usually work evening shifts. Any time when we both off we like to spend it together.
  Lately we've been doing something else together which is pretty strange. It started with C's last trip to the dentist.
  It turned out that he had some cavities and also the beginnings of gum disease. The dentist recommended an electric toothbrush which C purchased along with some other supplies. Like almost everything these days, the toothbrush has an app that can be downloaded. It can sync with the toothbrush. One of the things the app has is a timer. It is recommended that teeth should be brushed for two minutes twice a day.
  The first time C used the brush he barely made it past one minute. Every night he would brush his teeth and I would watch the timer. I'd cheer him on. "Your halfway through! One minute left!' or "Coming down the home stretch, 15 seconds to go!" (I did tell you this was strange, didn't I?) Then it occurred to me that this shouldn't be a spectator sport. My teeth  could benefit from two minutes of brushing as well. Maybe even more so as I don't use an electric brush.
  Now every night before we go to be we both floss because flossing is very important. Then with toothbrushes in hand we brush our teeth together. I watch the timer. After two minutes are up we rinse our mouths out, use a little mouthwash  and are done for the night.
  For some reason that I can't explain, I really like this habit that we've gotten into. I like watching the timer on the app and I like looking at all the little award that are available for flossing so many days in a row, rinsing so many days in a row etc. It's kind of like the dental version of a Fitbit.
  I also like how my teeth feel. The feel nice and clean. I also don't have that nasty morning breath. In fact it makes me wonder if maybe I should consider an electric toothbrush of my own.
  There are two reasons why I am reluctant. I had an electric toothbrush when I was younger. The vibration of the brush tended to make the tremors in my hand worse after using it. The other thing I don't like is that I can't recycle the brush heads. The manual toothbrushes I use now are made from recycled products and can be mailed back to the manufacturer to be recycled into something else. Over the past few years I've become concerned about the amount of trash we have and prefer to use recycled products and things that can be recycled.
  Regardless of what I choose we will keep brushing our teeth together at night, even though it is a weird thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project