They Have No Clue





  As few months ago a young couple I know expressed the opinion that World War II was started  so that large business could make money. Since I heard it second hand, I hoped that I had heard it wrong. I find it hard to believe that two people in their thirties with  good educations could come to such a ridiculous conclusion. I was seriously offended. My father-in-law and two great uncles had fought in that war. Part of my father's family was displaced by that war. The thought that these two people would think this would all be done in the name of profit made me beyond angry.
  As much as I wanted to think otherwise I was fairly certain that this was their true belief. It fit in with a lot of other beliefs that they've expressed.
  Then I realized something. This couple is in their early thirties. That means they were born in the middle 1980s. The chances that they would have spent time with someone who was directly impacted by the war was unlikely. All they would know about the country at that time would be from a textbook. It was a different world back then. They have no clue.
    At that time having a son or daughter serving in the military was a point of pride. these were people that were serving our country. They were respected. They wouldn't know the meaning of blue stars handing in windows not would they know what it means when the blue star becomes a gold star.  
 They wouldn't understand the desire to serve. Four of my great uncles were in the military, two of them served during World War II. They wanted to serve this country. Their parents had come here from Italy so that these great uncles could have a better life. They wouldn't understand why my father-in-law would leave his home, his wife and a young daughter to go overseas and fight in order to protect this country.
  They wouldn't understand sacrifice. During the war there was rationing of food and gasoline. In order to be able to send supplies to the troops, people back in the United States had to do with less. They planted gardens, knitted, sewed and made do with what they had so everyone could have enough. Everyone sacrificed a little. I don't think they could understand that the country pulled together.
  They wouldn't understand forgiveness. After the war millions of tons of food, clothing and supplies were sent to Europe and to people living in countries we were fighting. Whole cities had been left in ruins. Many were homeless. Rebuilding projects were funded. World leaders gathered to try to find a way to make sure this kind of war would not happen again.
  They don't remember a time when the people who ran for public office did so out of a desire to be of service. They know investigations of abuses of power and hearings on possible impeachment. People like Harry Truman, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Dwight D. Eisenhower must seem like mythical creatures to them.
  I feel really sad for them. A lot of what they and we have know was earned by those people who fought and died and those who came back to build this country. It's sad that the era that they grew up in made them cynical and suspicious. It's really sad that all they know is this fragmented culture we have.
  I'm grateful for all the stories my Dad told me about when he was young and the way things were at that time. I'm grateful for all the families who sacrificed to help during the war. I'm grateful to my Uncle Tony who flew bomber planes and to my Uncle Jerry who was a valiant fighter. I'm grateful that they came home and set a good example for us. I'm grateful for Mr. Warren, my father-in-law. He paid a heavy price for his service as did his family.
  Maybe that young couple doesn't have a clue, but I do. I won't forget.


  Dedicated to
Mr. Warren, Tony Cifaldi and Jerry Montefusco
You are missed, you are loved. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project